Idle Chatter | A General Discussion Community

Is that a good or bad "dang"? 🤷‍♀️

A wee update to our forum index page too. Only took me something like 3 years to figure out how to display widgets between nodes (see widget below the "Entertainment Central" forum) :X3:

Should have my IMS feature ready to launch soon, work has been super busy so a little behind with online stuff. All I need now is for someone to create an Xbox Games/Game Pass add-on and my members will have everything they've asked for and our site will be complete other than little refreshes (and the next addon from @Bob :D)

EDIT: Fixed some wee problems with member profiles in responsive view too

profile.png

Attachments

• forumindex.webp
    forumindex.webp
    86.4 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Is that a good or bad "dang"? 🤷‍♀️

A wee update to our forum index page too. Only took me something like 3 years to figure out how to display widgets between nodes (see widget below the "Entertainment Central" forum) :X3:

Should have my IMS feature ready to launch soon, work has been super busy so a little behind with online stuff. All I need now is for someone to create an Xbox Games/Game Pass add-on and my members will have everything they've asked for and our site will be complete other than little refreshes (and the next addon from @Bob :D)
An impressive dang 😄

Finished off another few tweaks this week....

Tidied up some of the layouts to my addons by @Bob, they all should be similar in layout now (desktop and responsive)

articles.pngblogs.pnglinks.pngRecipes.png

Upgrade our ChatGPT addon by @021 and added some new AI bots to help around the site, some just for fun and others to provide themed info - my members are sensible enough to use it properly

bot1.pngbot2.pngbot3.pngbot5.png bot4.png

Tidied up the Stories addon layout after updating to the new version, merging bits from the addon into my own layout

stories.png stories_account.png

Installed the user notes addon by @Ozzy47, this is only available to certain users (usergroup)

profilenotes.png

And lastly, we've just finished our first gaming tournament....

tournament.png

Last edited:
Staying current!
Got to move with the times, it is working well the way I've got it set up in certain areas but I wouldn't install it just as a gimmick because there is an expense attached, not an overly expensive one...especially on a small site like mine, but still a cost.

Really sharp looks too.
I think maybe I've graduated from a novice skill set to competent :)

Last edited:
Limited Guest Viewing by @Wutime

I can't really comment on the advantages as my site is a closed one and I use the addon for different reasons than encouraging registration.
Thx for your quick repl, Gemma. I'm sorry you don't have any more insight. I'm less interested in new registrations. I hope that already registered members, many of whom only read along as guests, will participate more actively in the forum again.

Not been online much lately due to some health issues so not really managed much in the way of updates since my last post. I have updated to the latest version of XF and made some small changes around the site to improve functionality and fix a few problems - also improved the layout of a couple of addons (I've a list of addons to update, I'll get that done when I can).

Our wee site turns 3 years old tomorrow and I'm delighted with how it has blossomed over the years :)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-04 231232.webp
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 231232.webp
    81 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot 2023-06-04 230530.webp
    Screenshot 2023-06-04 230530.webp
    47.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-11-03.779Z.webp
    Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-11-03.779Z.webp
    54 KB · Views: 24
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-01-57.807Z.webp
    Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-01-57.807Z.webp
    71.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-00-40.588Z.webp
    Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T22-00-40.588Z.webp
    88.7 KB · Views: 22
  • Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T21-58-56.414Z.webp
    Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-04T21-58-56.414Z.webp
    45.8 KB · Views: 21
@Gemma I visited to review but was blocked very quickly by your guest limiter - 3 items, really? How is anyone going to work up the interest to register if they can't view your content. Not a criticism, but it the objective is to force people to register to "read" then it may be having the opposite effect; meh, if I can't view more than three things, off I go to find a site that lets me read more (or all) content.

Just out of interest, is the limit there for a specific reason, or is it just to try and encourage people to register?

An alternative might be to open the site up more to guests, but take your busiest or best forums and make them member-only - so there is an incentive for people to register, whilst still being able to get a better feel for your site, content and members.

@Gemma I visited to review but was blocked very quickly by your guest limiter - 3 items, really? How is anyone going to work up the interest to register if they can't view your content. Not a criticism, but it the objective is to force people to register to "read" then it may be having the opposite effect; meh, if I can't view more than three things, off I go to find a site that lets me read more (or all) content.

Just out of interest, is the limit there for a specific reason, or is it just to try and encourage people to register?

An alternative might be to open the site up more to guests, but take your busiest or best forums and make them member-only - so there is an incentive for people to register, whilst still being able to get a better feel for your site, content and members.
Her site is a closed one, you can't register even if you wanted to (unless you have an invitation code). Apparently she uses the guest limiter for reasons other than encouraging registration (her own words from above).

Regarding the site, I like it otherwise, but the font is awful, really difficult to read and would turn me away from using the site for more than one minute.

As mentioned in the opening post, my site is a closed forum.

Regarding the site, I like it otherwise, but the font is awful, really difficult to read and would turn me away from using the site for more than one minute.
There is an option to use the original font if desired but since my members wanted a "more relaxed" look we've left their choice as default...

Firefox_Screenshot_2023-06-07T17-41-54.112Z.webp

That is fine, but in that case it seems a bit odd if it's not possible to look around and do an informed critique. (This is in the showcase and cliques forum)
Nothing odd. You can actually see plenty of the site. Having a closed forum shouldn't prevent you from posting here and highlighting your "skills" or how you've used the software.

Last edited:
Top Bottom