Idle Chatter | A General Discussion Community

Welcome to Idle Chatter 2024!

Working on some new ideas.

I really hate my current navigation system, whether it is the standard horizontal method - the scrolling tabs function just doesn't look right if you have lots of menus and is something that has bugged me for a while. Off canvas is a bit better but with lots of menu items the scrolling can still be a pain.

So I've come up with something based off @BassMan Vertical Navigation add-on that might be more appropriate (admittedly, it still needs some work)

newnavigation.webp

I'm also working on a new feature using @Bob Item Management System.....

books.webp

More to follow.....

Okay, some more on our first real update of 2024.

As mentioned, I've been working on a new navigation system which hopefully is more user friendly than the current scrolling tabs offering which I don't find practical at all if you have lots of menus/addons

Here's where I've got to with my update....

navigation.webp

I've added "Quick Links" for easy acces to creating threads, posting to the gallery, blog and accessing news feeds etc.

Books and reading is popular with my members, so I'm using @Bob IMS addon to create a "Book Club" so members can post and review books they've read.

book_club.webp book_listing.webp book_summary.webp

I've also updated another @Bob addon, the Link Directory, so the layout format is the same as the other addons I use - Showcase, Articles etc

directory_index.webp directory_review.webp

We've now using the Events Manager by @Veer to list our upcoming events instead of just posting in the forums

events_index.webp events_category_index.webp event.webp

We've mage minor changes to our arcade code/layout...

arcade.webp

And updated the layout of our Advanced Statistics info in the member profiles...

advstats.webp

There are a ton of other miscellaneous updates and about 500 addon installs/updates that @Ozzy47 drop on us about a week ago :X3:

Thanks for looking :)

Some more TLC to our "Books" section today with some reworking of the layout...

Index Page

books_index.webp

Book Listing...

books_listing.webp

Profile page tab...

books_profile.webp

Book widget...

books_widget.webp

Please with how this looks now.

Thanks @Bob for another excellent addon. No-one else comes close in terms of development and support :)

Some more TLC to our "Books" section today with some reworking of the layout...

Index Page

View attachment 297340

Book Listing...

View attachment 297341

Profile page tab...

View attachment 297342

Book widget...

View attachment 297343

Please with how this looks now.

Thanks @Bob for another excellent addon. No-one else comes close in terms of development and support :)
Looks great. Do you just grab the book art manually for each addition? Would be cool to pull book data from an api.

Not enough hours in the day for real-life and website work tbh, but here's a wee update on things we're working on for Idle Chatter

Firstly, I noticed parts of my articles and book club sections wasn't displaying properly, so I've fixed that and they both now work as intended. I've also added little bits to the list layout of the book club. TBH, @Bob addons are so well made and good, you barely need to do anything other than run with them...I just like to tweak things :X3:

articles.webp books1.webp books2.webp

I've added some minor tweaks to our Events Manager by @Veer, basically to make viewing upcoming events in calendar mode more user friendly by colour coordinating categories...

calendar.webpcalendar2.webp

I've replaced our previous "thread info" block with a new one created by the team at OzzModz (@Ozzy47/@Painbaker), my old one didn't display properly for all thread types but that has been solved with this new addon (I've even managed to style it like the previous addon)

threadinfo1.webp threadinfo2.webp

And I've turned to the team at OzzModz to create a "toplist" addon so my members can create personal lists of TV shows and Movies and other members can vote (if voting is activated) on their favourites. It is currently running on my site and other features/compatibility with other addons will be added through time...I've also re-styled it a bit for my own layout :X3::X3:

toplist1.webp toplist2.webp toplist3.webp

I've also added some new widgets and updated other ones...

New ones include a people to follow (@JustinHawk) and at a glance (tweaked @Ozzy47 addon)...

ataglance.webp sugested.webp widget1.webp

widget2.webp

As always, thanks for looking :)

Last edited:
Really like the "toplist" idea, nicely done!
Hopefully there will be more of the threads starter addons compatible at a later stage which may be of interest to you too :)

As ever, you're innovating and leading the way.. 🙌
Not sure about that but a lot of my ideas are now coming together and I'm happy with most outcomes. I wish I knew how to code addons but that is WAAAAAAY beyond my knowledge and comfort zone :(

Having a bit of a health wobble so spent all day cosy in bed tidying up my site and adding wee bits and pieces (some new, some refreshed)...🧸 (added random emoji for cuteness)

Attachments

• Ud10.webp
    Ud10.webp
    69 KB · Views: 11
  • Ud9.webp
    Ud9.webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 10
  • Ud8.webp
    Ud8.webp
    82.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Ud7.webp
    Ud7.webp
    75.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Ud6.webp
    Ud6.webp
    50.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Ud5.webp
    Ud5.webp
    56.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Ud4.webp
    Ud4.webp
    64.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Ud3.webp
    Ud3.webp
    95.8 KB · Views: 9
  • Ud2.webp
    Ud2.webp
    62.7 KB · Views: 9
  • ud1.webp
    ud1.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 14
We're finally fully live with another update to the TV and Movie thread starter addons, thanks to @Ozzy47 and @Painbaker for more excellent work - this replaces some makeshift custom post fields I was using - in each section you now have the option to select whether you have a TV show or movie on your watchlist, whether you've watched it, and if you liked it...(I may change the options for TV shows, I'm not sure yet)

movieindex.webp movie.webp tvindex.webp tvshow.webp

I've also made some small adjustments to the Thread Info Widget (again by @Ozzy47 and the team at OzzModz) to suit my site layout.

threadinfo.webp

Here you go!

I'm guessing the security systems I have in place work then. They either didn't like your IP address, country or browser...🤷‍♀️

Last edited:
We're finally fully live with another update to the TV and Movie thread starter addons, thanks to @Ozzy47 and @Painbaker for more excellent work - this replaces some makeshift custom post fields I was using - in each section you now have the option to select whether you have a TV show or movie on your watchlist, whether you've watched it, and if you liked it...(I may change the options for TV shows, I'm not sure yet)
These are excellent, and I look forward to and/or hope for a public release.. If you hadn't commissioned them, I probably would have!

Top Bottom