1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on [Demo] Description added to RSS feeds

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Discussions' started by Chris D, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I had a spare couple of hours today, and I've had something written down on my mahoosive to-do list for quite some time.
    (I make that sound much more organised than I am... I do not have a list, nor do I write things down... but don't tell anyone :sneaky:)

Quite simply it is a desire to add some content to the RSS feeds. Currently a global RSS feed looks like:

Pretty much only the title. In RSS Readers such as Google Reader, that results in a pretty boring representation of your content:

I've done this:

Which renders much better, like this:

Feel free to check it out yourself in your favourite readers: http://www.valvetime.net/forums/-/index.rss

What do you think? Should I release?

There's a bit of a down side. As far as I have been able to tell, I can only replace (rather than extend) the existing View methods for rendering RSS... but... I can't recall seeing any other add-ons that may extend these views so for the most part it shouldn't be an issue.
  2. gordy

gordy Well-Known Member

Yes, please do release!

The title only has been a huge missing annoyance from the get-go, I've tried using Ragtek's plugin but it was too cumbersome and failed filechecks.
  3. Chris D

Ragtek had a plugin for it?

I never saw this... do you have a link?

The default XenForo feed fails file checks anyway, so this is unlikely to be any different.
  4. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

it was called "ragtek Global Feed" doing a search yielded zero results.. I assume it was removed by request from the author..
  5. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Is it possible to get this to pull member avatars from the first post or the first attachment.. I know this is a feature in a lot of different feed readers so i was wondering how tough it would be to incorporate into your feed?
    Mouth likes this.
  6. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

Would love to see this as a released addon :) Looks great and useful :)
    gordy likes this.
  7. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Another chime in for release please
  8. Luis

Luis Well-Known Member

9. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

10. Itworx4me

Itworx4me Well-Known Member

11. Chris D

Ah Ragtek's add-on does quite a bit more than my add-on. My objective was to simply add the description to RSS, which I have achieved. So some people may still prefer Ragtek's add-on.

I will release mine shortly :)
    Mouth likes this.
  12. Shyuan

Shyuan Well-Known Member

Saw you released your addon :D Thank you!
  13. Silvan

Silvan Member

What I'd really like is a RSS feed with description (check) and a thumbnail from the thread from the Waindigo thread. That way you can probably add it to homepage of your (wordpress) website.
  14. ARSamo

ARSamo Member

any update....????