Dedicated Server Support

cmeinck

Can anyone recommend a dedicated server support group -- perhaps one that is pay per issue or a low cost monthly service.

My current one is not very proactive and it seems that as of late, they answer my question with another question.

Ideally, it would be great to have someone who takes an interest in me as a customer. Someone who might proactively tweak my server and check that proper backups are being performed.

I pay for a monthly service and feel as if they only support basic stuff -- stuff that I could likely handle with relative ease.

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone recommend a dedicated server support group -- perhaps one that is pay per issue or a low cost monthly service.

My current one is not very proactive and it seems that as of late, they answer my question with another question.

Ideally, it would be great to have someone who takes an interest in me as a customer. Someone who might proactively tweak my server and check that proper backups are being performed.

I pay for a monthly service and feel as if they only support basic stuff -- stuff that I could likely handle with relative ease.

Thanks in advance.
Does your datacenter or host provide any support? Or is that your function?

Does your datacenter or host provide any support? Or is that your function?

No, I have a dedicated server with SoftLayer, so I have to opt for 3rd party support. Days like today where I need assistance setting up Elasticsearch are why I'm looking at other alternatives. They make no attempt to go the extra mile and help their customers.

SoftLayer has a great datacenter, but the prices are a little high for my taste. If you're not married to their setup, consider a few options:

1. If you have a cPanel server, you can move to any other cPanel setup with easy migration and almost non-existent downtime.

2. 100tb.com is a SoftLayer reseller, but they offer better prices and options for full support. And, yes, it's 100tb bandwidth. They offer cPanel.

3. HostGator (another SoftLayer reseller) offers 10TB bandwidth on their dedicated servers. The hardware isn't the latest, but probably good enough for most uses (you can get quotes on better hardware). They offer first rate support, and also cPanel.

4. Consider moving to another host. 1and1 has gone "unlimited" bandwidth on all their packages, but their managed version doesn't give you root access. I don't know if they include migration services. The other downside is that they offer Parallels Plesk, which isn't my cup of tea. There have been reports of support issues, but they have a special department for dedicated servers that does pretty well.

5. DreamHost has a really good low-cost dedicated server package. The support doesn't do everything, but they have Wikis on the complicated stuff, and will guide you. They offer live chat, callbacks and email support. All of their packages offer unlimited bandwidth, and they have a mostly functional cPanel importer to their proprietary control panel (it has problems with databases, but you can import these manually by following one of the online guides). Their best server, at $249 per month, offers a quad-core CPU, 12GB RAM, RAID 1 with 2x1TB hard drives, and a gigabit network port on most servers. The throughout is really good.

6. I seldom recommend GoDaddy for obvious reasons, but they recently upgraded their dedicated packages to include 10TB to 20TB bandwidth.

If you are looking for support such as installations, then I wouldn't suggest 1+1. Their support team is amazing, but they only deal with technical "problems" opposed to general support.

I used these for about 18 months & for the monthly price you cant go wrong $29.00 a month ... Done everything I ever asked promptly..

http://platinumservermanagement.com/

My dedi is with Limestone Networks and they offer very cheap price per ticket help/support or one off fees.. I paid $60 as a one off to them for a major issue while others were quoting $75 - $95 an hour...

Regards..

I used these for about 18 months & for the monthly price you cant go wrong $29.00 a month ... Done everything I ever asked promptly..

http://platinumservermanagement.com/

My dedi is with Limestone Networks and they offer very cheap price per ticket help/support or one off fees.. I paid $60 as a one off to them for a major issue while others were quoting $75 - $95 an hour...

Regards..
I tried some of these firms, but always ran into trouble with service requests that weren't addressed in a prompt fashion or we're not done correctly. In this case, I used them for a while, and ran into problems because they were using outdated technology for some of their alleged security mods. I also recall that this particularly company was downright rude in some of their responses.

Top Bottom