XF 2.1 Dedicated IP showing up on more users.

Mr Lucky

How is it possible for a dedicated IP, to be showing on more than one user?

I have a dedicated IP assigned by Zen Internet (my ISP). On a forum I moderate, I checked "more users" under my ACP account details, and although it showed my test user as expected, it showed another 8 or so random users.

How is this possible, I thought dedicated IP addresses had to be unique?

Thanks

It’s possible that this could be indicative of a bug within an add-on you have installed. Particularly if an add-on triggers things within the job or cron system that results in IP addresses being logged.

Due to the way these jobs are run - which can in effect be triggered by any user accessing the site - the IP address logged, if not handled correctly, could be from the user who triggered the job.

We tend to explicitly workaround this in core code so in these cases we force an IP address not to be logged at all.

Third party code may not be being as careful.

It may not be a simple thing to track down but I would first consider which add-ons you have which may create content by cron or triggered periodically.

Can you think of anything like that?

This is happening on two sites.

One of them is owned by Verticalscope and I am just an admin there with limited permissions so have no idea what addons they have. I will contact them about this.

HOWEVER it is also happening on my own site. I wouldn't know what addons might be logging IPs.

OK, on my site it is just two members, back in 2016/17 - at that time I think I may have had alter ego addon installed on xenforo1. That presumably logged IPs

If they’re very old, I certainly wouldn’t worry about them.

But what I said originally most likely explains it - an add-on or even an ancient XF bug that inadvertently logged IP addresses when it shouldn’t.

FWIW we wouldn’t recommend keeping IP address logs for that long. As soon as a logged IP address is more than a year old, I wouldn’t trust it to be entirely accurate.

Obviously dedicated IP addresses are more trustworthy but they are certainly not common these days.

Top Bottom