Imagine you find a black covered notebook on the ground. You lift it up and turn it facing toward you and can clearly read a white letter written title on the front cover which reads, Death Note. You open it up only to discover it is completely filled with blank pages, but on the inside cover you find the following engraved instructions;
- The person whose name is written in this notebook shall die.
- This notebook will not take effect unless the writer has the subject's face in their mind when writing his/her name. Therefore, people sharing the same name will not be affected.
- If the cause of death is written within 40 seconds of writing the person's name, it will happen.
- If the cause of death is not specified, the person will simply die of a heart attack.
- After writing the cause of death, the details of the death should be written in the next 6 minutes and 40 seconds.