[DBTech] DragonByte Avatars

[DBTech] DragonByte Avatars [Paid] 0.9.1

No permission to buy ($37.50)
A few points here:

First of all, ALL branding is helpful in SEO - Neither vBulletin nor xenForo have their branding listed as rel nofollow which means they are " using clients sites for SEO purposes". Let me know if you need me to explain that to you since you seem to have some strange interpretations about what exactly SEO is.

Secondly they are not *forced* to place the link, it is optional in our lite version and doesn't exist in our pro version.

Thirdly we categorically cannot include that in our terms of sale because the link specifically does NOT exist in the pro version.

I'm not sure what your particular issue with us is, but I would suggest if you are going to make implied threats ("I personally had a hand in demolishing him? really? Why would a mature adult feel the need to say that?) you first ensure you are in possession of all the facts.

Regards,

Iain
Can I use bdBank points for this? http://xenforo.com/community/resources/bd-banking.536/

We've not announced our upcoming xF plans yet - if you're registered on our site we tend to "out" things like that on our weekly dev blog though, so that'd be the best place to keep your eyes on :)

Iain
Yeah I still have an account unless I got delete or so. Been a couple months since I last logged in.

Hi Iain,

Firstly, I am not making any threats, so please do not take it as such. I am not a user of your products, however; I am watching them to see what you do in relations with them for XF, as I am an avid supporter of XF and third parties to XF. I have liked several of your products, though they haven't been made available to XF.

I have questioned the cost of your branding free, as many others have in this thread and concluded the same as myself, pass on buying from you due to the ridiculous costing applied to branding free.

Secondly, as an ex-marketing professional in both online and offline marketing, and one of the pioneers to SEO on the web (do a search to establish my history back when Altavista was around), I know exactly what branding is, and is not. SEO is not link building. Link building is link building, plain and simple. SEO is an old term that is quite redundant today with search positioning. It is only due to its longevity of usage that it is still used today, though its meaning is vastly different from where it began its roots.

Branding is about marketing your brand name, and doing so in the best possible methods. Branding is putting your brand name onto your product, link or not.

Fillip answered the first part, regarding your products including a link to a hosting company. I asked simply, is that your company or are you using the product to place affiliate links on clients site that benefit you? If affiliate, that is actually illegal, regardless whether its in a TOS or not. You cannot profiteer from the sale of a product through such methods when a fee has been paid for a product. Ask a local lawyer about International implications of such of rate answer. When selling across borders, it is no longer just your local laws that apply, there are International jurisdictional laws you need comply with, especially if the majority of your sales are actually outside your countries borders.

Again, not a threat, but a question of what is within your product that I may, or may not, be looking at buying in the future depending on what you do with pricing and branding free for XF products.

You said the link does not exist in the "pro" version. Now I am confused more.

I asked earlier if the pro version still had branding, which was stated as yes, and that a pro + branding free was required to remove branding.

So are you saying, the free version has more links and the pro version only has a branding link attached?

I'
Hi Iain,

Firstly, I am not making any threats, so please do not take it as such. I am not a user of your products, however; I am watching them to see what you do in relations with them for XF, as I am an avid supporter of XF and third parties to XF. I have liked several of your products, though they haven't been made available to XF.

I have questioned the cost of your branding free, as many others have in this thread and concluded the same as myself, pass on buying from you due to the ridiculous costing applied to branding free.

Secondly, as an ex-marketing professional in both online and offline marketing, and one of the pioneers to SEO on the web (do a search to establish my history back when Altavista was around), I know exactly what branding is, and is not. SEO is not link building. Link building is link building, plain and simple. SEO is an old term that is quite redundant today with search positioning. It is only due to its longevity of usage that it is still used today, though its meaning is vastly different from where it began its roots.

Branding is about marketing your brand name, and doing so in the best possible methods. Branding is putting your brand name onto your product, link or not.

Fillip answered the first part, regarding your products including a link to a hosting company. I asked simply, is that your company or are you using the product to place affiliate links on clients site that benefit you? If affiliate, that is actually illegal, regardless whether its in a TOS or not. You cannot profiteer from the sale of a product through such methods when a fee has been paid for a product. Ask a local lawyer about International implications of such of rate answer. When selling across borders, it is no longer just your local laws that apply, there are International jurisdictional laws you need comply with, especially if the majority of your sales are actually outside your countries borders.

Again, not a threat, but a question of what is within your product that I may, or may not, be looking at buying in the future depending on what you do with pricing and branding free for XF products.

You said the link does not exist in the "pro" version. Now I am confused more.

I asked earlier if the pro version still had branding, which was stated as yes, and that a pro + branding free was required to remove branding.

So are you saying, the free version has more links and the pro version only has a branding link attached?

I'm confused - you seemed to suggest that have a link with SEO benefits is somehow underhand, and yet vBulletin and xenForo (who you used as examples) both use search engine friendly links in their footer "branding" instead of a simple rel nofollow which would remove all search engine considerations. Surely if what you are saying is true, then xenForo and vBulletin are being underhanded by not using rel nofollow? All of the reasons I stated for branding being useful to us are going to be the same for xenForo and vBulletin - they will derive the exact same benefits as we do.

You are correct that there is less branding in the Pro version - the Hivelocity link does not exist (and has never existed) in our pro products. The only links in the pro version are a link to our homepage and a link to the product page of the exact product being used.

Although it is not applicable here, I would be interested in speaking to the legal professional who advised you such things would be illegal however - if paid content is not allowed to have paid advertisements in it then a LOT of industries are about to be sued out of existence. I believe the movie industry, with it's trailers etc are in trouble. I think DVDs of TV shows with product placement are as well. So are any videogames with product placement now that I think about it... Can you show any actual legislation to back up that rather extraordinary claim?

Regarding the cost of the branding free license, pricing is never something that will please everyone - as it is we have thousands of happy customers, hundreds of which have felt our branding free pricing is reasonable enough for purchase. We feel we have struck a balance where the price of the branding free license is such to discourage most people from buying it and thus protect our branding and marketing efforts - we understand this means some people will choose not to purchase, but much like with our mods we cannot price low enough to suit everyone, we have to choose a cut off somewhere and that's the point we settled on.

Iain

You too sir, good luck with your network of sites.

For the record it's generally considered bad form to ask for donations on a support forum for a server that is owned by and hosts your/your families business site as well, i'm pretty sure it falls foul of the requirements for using PayPal's donate button too - unless it's a registered charity and the money will be used solely for expenses/costs for the charity.

Just a heads up since you seem very interested in the legal aspects of websites/forums :)

Hopefully some people out there will appreciate the honesty and complete transparency in why our prices are what they are.

I would point out that the competitors we've had who have offered more "generous" branding free deals are now, almost without exception, out of business. The only company I can think of off the top of my head that has been running uninterrupted for longer than us in this scene is vBSEO. They actually charge almost double what we do for a branding free license, and last I checked offered no free lite licenses at all. It's almost as if the companies who ensure they make enough to pay their staff and work full time are the ones who stay in business year after year ;).

Again apologies to anyone who didn't come to read about why we price the way we do etc, and if it's frowned upon I completely understand if a mod chooses to clean up the thread.

Regards,

Iain

I've used MANY DBT products in the past when I ran a vB site. I find the threats (and yes, they are threats no matter how you attempted to gloss over it) pretty pathetic and childish. If you don't agree with a companies pricing structure, show them by not purchasing the product, its pretty simple.

I've never worked with an "online" company as open, forthright, accommodating and overall helpful as DBT. I've been a customer since pretty much DBT opened it's doors and I just wanted to let everyone that reads this thread that there are MANY happy DBT customers. Look for yourself on their website as to how much they help customers (of their free versions even), read what's said by the owners of the company when asked for new features, help, suggestions and even things that are NOT related to DBT products/services.

If you don't like honesty and someone trying to get paid for their hard work, I guess you'll have issues and if that's the case, please send me your work paychecks since it's clearly not ethical to get paid for your work.

But if you want good products, priced reasonably (IMO) and the best support around, check 'em out! http://www.dragonbyte-tech.com

Their link is removed if you buy it brand free anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but thats what I remember.

They just tryna make a living. You can't hate on that.

I would say 'that sucks' but then I realized there are other addon authors who could make a similar product if there was demand and/or donators for it.

Top Bottom