[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address

[OzzModz] Country Flags by IP Address 2.2.1 Patch Level 3

No permission to download
Here is a screenshot of the permissions. Do these look right?

View attachment 215908

if (false === file_put_contents($filename, $jsonStr)) {
Those are the permissions for the add-on itself in src/addons/Snog/Flags.

You want the permissions for the root data folder of your site.
data/countryflags

Your data folder should have 777 permissions as should the data/countryflags folder if it exists.

Ahh, there is no country flags folder under data!
It must have gotten wiped out when I uninstalled the add-on prior to the upgrade.
I'll re-do that part of the install. Thanks!

I did the removal with all my add-ons because I wanted to ensure a clean start.
It may not have been necessary. I was just trying to go the extra mile.

Ahh, there is no country flags folder under data!
That means something is preventing it from being created. The file_put_contents should be able to create it when it runs, but it isn't doing that for some reason.

Create it and give it 777 permissions.

Okay, I created data/countryflags and did a chmod 777 on it.
Now when I run the install, I have a different error.

Code:
We found some errors while trying to install the following add-on:Country Flags by IP Address 2.0.12
The following errors must be resolved before continuing:
[LIST]
[*]cURL error 6: Could not resolve host: geolite.maxmind.com; Unknown error (see http://curl.haxx.se/libcurl/c/libcurl-errors.html)
[/LIST]

uh oh :
Geolite.maxmind.com Status
Is geolite.maxmind.com down right now?
It's not just you! geolite.maxmind.com is down.

The problem is that MaxMind is now requiring a license key to download the database.

Ozzy will need to get a license key and change all of the add-ons that use MaxMind.

There is also a problem with requiring a license key now. They can limit the number of downloads for a specific key.

Ozzy might be better off requiring users to get their own key and not use one key for all users.

Addon no longer works due to GDPR and CCPA! It would require a significant rewrite.

@Ozzy - perhaps you can rewrite it and then charge for your time and effort in doing so. I'm sure a lot of folks would pay for it.

Or perhaps a retirement project for the Snoginator?

@Ozzy - perhaps you can rewrite it and then charge for your time and effort in doing so. I'm sure a lot of folks would pay for it.

Or perhaps a retirement project for the Snoginator?

I thought about that, but TBH I really don't want another paid (or free) addon that requires a third party source to work. To much trouble that I have no control over.

So for those folks who have the add-on installed ... will it stop working after today?

What is your official recommended course of action -- disable or remove the add-on?

I believe it is going to stop working. I would just disable it if it does. That way you don't loose any saved information just in case.

Nobody expects you to make it compatible on New Year's Eve. The question is: are you abandoning the addon or will this just take some time to update it?

This is bad news then. This addon is one of the most popular free addon out there and you are abandoning it just like that?

Yes, it is something that is beyond my control.
Big brother has forced company's to change things, and unfortunately when that happens things suffer.

Top Bottom