1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Converting from vB forum to XenForo

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Smiggy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Smiggy

Smiggy Member

Hi,

Silly question but no harm in asking.

Using the importers when they become available one can transfer users, passwords. threads, etc over but I take it all the hacks and skin will be break?

2. Floris

Floris Guest

There are no specifics, but my suspected answer will be: Yes. For both the official xenForo convert script, as well as xenPort by xenfans.com
    It's already confirmed that you can set the pass scheme, so users can be imported and keep their passwords.

3. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so. The converters usually don''t support third party mods or themes.

4. Smiggy

Smiggy Member

Bummers.

Thanks for the reply Floris.

5. Hauzer

Hauzer Member

Hi Smiggy,

When xenForo is released, I believe it will come with an IPB and vBulletin 4 converter/importer. There is a slight chance that the IPB converter may not be released after the release of xenForo and maybe slightly delayed.

A vBulletin 3 importer has already been created, therefore should be released on the same release date as xenForo. ;)

Source: http://xenforo.com/community/threads/importers.221/#post-2073

6. Floris

Floris Guest

Hauzer, thanks for the link :)

7. Smiggy

Smiggy Member

Hi Hauzer,

Thanks for the reply. The question is though, the original hacks and skins will have to be moved after, correct?

8. Shamil

Shamil Well-Known Member

Yes - although you might not find compatible hacks/skins in the early stages of the software, so you might need to rethink your options and wait a few years if your board is heavily hacked and you want to keep all modifications.

9. Brandon_R

Brandon_R Guest

Yes vBulletin is not only supported but the users can log in with their passwords that they used on the old site also :)