1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Partial Fix Contact Form not compatible with Amazon SES (or other SMTP service)

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Coop1979, Jun 2, 2012.

1. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

The Contact Form is currently not compatible with the Amazon SES (and I'm guessing other SMTP email services) because it attempts to send the emails from the user's email address, which is not a verified email address within the site's Amazon SES account.

An alternate way to handle this would be for the user's email address to be placed in a "Reply to" field, with the email actually being sent by the default XenForo email address. A similar patch was made for the Wordpress add-on contact form here: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/...rms-patch-fix-incompatibility-with-amazon-ses

As email moves more and more to the cloud, I believe this is an important issue to patch.

AlexT and Andy.N like this.
  2. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Nice spot, Cooper.

Coop1979 likes this.
  3. Coop1979

Coop1979 Well-Known Member

If anyone can come up with an intermediate fix, I'd really appreciate it.

4. ragtek

ragtek Guest

5. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

I currently have my contact form via Gravity Form on the Wordpress front but I'm moving it to Xenporta. I'm using Amazon SES for quite sometime now.
    It should be a simple fix for the XF team.

6. AlexT

AlexT Well-Known Member

Deleted.

7. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The correct way to do this is with the "Sender" header, which is actually designated almost exactly for this situation - it is the email which takes the burden of verification, rather than the "From" address. I don't think Amazon SES supports this yet, though there is a large discussion about it.

This seems like the the best/most correct way to do this. (Prior to 1.1.3, setting a reply-to header wasn't even really possible. Using a reply-to instead can be done in 1.1.3 with a small code change.)

Andy.N and Coop1979 like this.
  8. lantek

lantek Active Member

I'm experiencing this problem. Can anyone provide me with the code change to get this working? Many thanks.

9. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a fixed bug report so it will be released in the next version.

10. lantek

lantek Active Member

Is this issue now fixed in 1.1.3? Thanks.

11. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Yes, look like we need to make some code change. i didn't see any reply-to email address setting in ACP Email options

12. lantek

lantek Active Member

Have you had any luck with getting this working? Thanks

13. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

nope. Not sure where to look.

14. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

@Mike
    I have this issue today when using the default contact form and someone tried to use it.
    I'm using XF 1.1.5

Zend_Mail_Protocol_Exception: Message rejected: Email address is not verified. - library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Abstract.php:431
    Generated By: Unknown Account, Today at 8:59 AM
    Stack Trace
    #0 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/Zend/Mail/Protocol/Smtp.php(324): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Abstract->_expect(250, 600)
    #1 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Smtp.php(215): Zend_Mail_Protocol_Smtp->data('Subject: Quant ...')
    #2 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/Zend/Mail/Transport/Abstract.php(348): Zend_Mail_Transport_Smtp->_sendMail()
    #3 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/Zend/Mail.php(1194): Zend_Mail_Transport_Abstract->send(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #4 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/XenForo/Mail.php(177): Zend_Mail->send()
    #5 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/XenForo/Mail.php(152): XenForo_Mail->sendMail(Object(Zend_Mail))
    #6 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/XenForo/ControllerPublic/Misc.php(199): XenForo_Mail->send('no-reply@quantn...', '', Array, 'smale@ter...', 'Smale')
    #7 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(313): XenForo_ControllerPublic_Misc->actionContact()
    #8 /home/nginx/domains/public/library/XenForo/FrontController.php(132): XenForo_FrontController->dispatch(Object(XenForo_RouteMatch))
    #9 /home/nginx/domains/public/index.php(13): XenForo_FrontController->run()
    #10 {main}

15. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

@Mike
    Just upgraded to 1.2 and the error still exists using default contact form and Amazon SES as SMTP.

16. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

This is a limitation in SES, as noted. We are now using the "standard" approach for this, but if they choose not to support it, there's not a lot that can easily be done. (I don't consider reply-to to be a good method.) You should contact them to try to get them to support the Sender header.

Andy.N likes this.
  17. Andy.N

Andy.N Well-Known Member

Yes, I will follow the request proposal discussion on Amazon forum and let you know if the feature is implemented.
    Right now, I will use an external form for contact.