Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

@Chris Deeming @Stuart Wright Would there be any plans for letting users to be able to upload a image(s) when they enter the contest and a override so admins have to pick the winners and runners up?
On our site we run the following types of contest: the ones like this covers & photo contests, we also sometimes run contest where users have to put text along with there entry if a dev is after ideas for new content and the best idea wins, users have to submit images and text about idea.

So it short i would be after
  • costume fields
  • image upload
  • admin override to pick winners and runners up.

I wanna get this so bad....gotta wait next month though till I get my allowance.

My dad has a problem with paying for stuff with a different currency. Is there anyway we can do it through USD?

On google it says 25 GBP is 39.83 USD

Surely it's just easier if he orders it in GBP. It won't cost him any more or less.

Anyway. It's @Stuart Wright's PayPal account so any other arrangement would have to be made with him.

I'm just being deliberately awkward because I don't understand the difference between purchasing something for $40 and... well... purchasing something for $40.

In french:
40 GBP = 47.7€
40 USD = 29.9€

30% cheaper USD.

if this add-on would have been USD, I would have probably bought.

The 25 GBP are 29EUR far the Paypal conversion (27 with the non-paypal-madness-taxed-rate)

I will buy it when i can, there is nice potential but i'm even afraid to ask what will happen to the sidebar with us using the widget framework :mad:

Nice, I like that suggestion as well. It will entice people to join in the competition as well.
To add to the idea, if a admin with the rights clicks on the entry total a overlay should show showing a list of users that have entered so far.

@Chris Deeming just some questions for you.

Does the sidebar support widget framework as mauzao9 mentioned above?

Is it possible to highlight only 1 contest at a time? This would only be used for 1 contest per month in my case?

Is it possible to showcase the number of entrants or to see the number of entrants easily in the admincp?

Are you talking about the sidebar block on the homepage?

That can already be put anywhere (might need some custom styling) because the information it uses is already cached.

I haven't used widget framework for a long time. Does it let you set up widgets that sinply loads a template? If so set up a widget with template name avforums_competition_sidebar and it will work.

The sidebar block is configurable to allow you to show X number of open competitions.

The competition index page is configurable to only show published competitions created in the last X days. It defaults to 30 days. This means at any one time, by default if you have one per month, your users should only see one at a time. If any additional ones show up... Maybe you end up doing two one month, any that you don't want to display publicly can just be unpublished. That will hide them. Staff can still see them if they have that permission.

There's nothing in the Admin CP. It's all entirely driven in the front end. There is a competitions archive page that lists statistics such as the number of entrants. This isn't currently exposed publicly.

Thanks. I was just about to purchase and then...I did. Edit: Bit the bullet :)

Last edited:
Hey Chris, I forgot to change the phrases before installing :(. Do you know of any easy way to change "Competition" to "Contest"? Also how would I change the URL? Should I use the route changer?

Well, you should be using XenForo 1.2 so you'd use Route Filters, but sure, either way, that will change the URL.

As I tried to explain yesterday... there's a situation where some phrases can be changed quite easily.

First, try changing the phrases:

avforums_competitions_competition
and
avforums_competitions

To:

Contest
and
Contests

That will actually cover most phrases that your USERS would see. Most of the areas where you create competitions and view them in the archive and that kind of thing will reference Competition/s still but the important part is, changing those two phrases should affect most phrases your users will see. There should then only be a few others that your users might see that would need changing... e.g.

avforums_competitions_open_competitions
and
avforums_competitions_completed_competitions

So it's not quite a mammoth task as we thought.

Top Bottom