Competitions for XenForo [Deleted]

What do you mean?
Meant that something that would allow us to create more types of competitions, rather than the select answer or custom answer text field entry, custom fields for other types of competitions so on the back, it can also be chosen manually who is the winner for example.

Also on photo/video competitions, it would be nice not be forcefully XMG and one alternative (galleries as sonbb or standalone) be provided. ;)

(I have purchased this add-on long time ago with brand removal, but used it only once and never again as it lacks too many necessary features for me)

Here are my suggestions from this thread, that I believe might be still not implemented:

1. To be able to see during the competition and also when the competition finished, how many and which members entered the competition.
2. If the winner(s) doesn't want the prize(s), option to re-draw the winner(s).
3. To be able to see the question(s) and the right answer(s) after the competition ended.
4. No, thanks button for members, that doesn't want to enter the competition to get rid of the competition alert.
5. Option to have more than one question for single competition.
6. Option to have for competitions entrance fee. So only members with enough collected money (points) via resources like Banking by @xfrocks or xfPoints by @Mythotical can enter the competition. The required amount will be then deducted from users account. I am sure by doing this the site activity will increase a lot. As you will need to collect money (points) to enter competitions.
7. To be able to enter somewhere contestants Name and Address, so you don't have to ask them for this later. And by this you will also see if someone is not abusing the system and trying to enter the competition more than once.

Last edited:
Hey Chris, is developement officially done with this addon? I was just curious since like many others mentioned it does lack quite a few features that could really make it powerful for growing community participation.

We have invited feedback on what people would like to see added in the future so no, development is not done.

@Chris D sorry if this has been asked before, but 27 pages was a bit too much for me to read through.

But can I change winner? Remove the winner, and choose another one out of the users joined in?

It can only be done with a code edit or an add-on.

There is an add-on that does this:
https://xenforo.com/community/resources/navigation-tabs-by-waindigo.3660/

Or you would need to edit the file:

library/AVForums/Competitions/Listener.php

I haven't got the code on this PC, but vaguely I think you need to find the word "middle" and change it to "end". Another valid position is "home".
Chris, can it be added as a suggestion/requested item for the next release that the menu position be added as an ACP option? :)

Add the possibility to set hour and minute to close competition
We are displaying a countdown timer against each competition in the sidebar widget.
people will receive alert/email in more active hours
To send an alert to competition entrants nn minutes before the competition closes to remind them they have entered. This feature will cost £90. Would license holders be willing to pay for this?
Option to have more than one question for single competition.
This feature will cost £180 to develop. Would license holders be willing to pay for this?
No, thanks button for members, that doesn't want to enter the competition to get rid of the competition alert.
To create an admin option to have a choice between the menu alert showing unentered competitions and unviewed competitions (thereby having the alert clear after the competition is viewed) will cost £75. Would license holders be willing to pay for this?

Is it possible to create a competition where everyone who enters wins?
Basically, is there a way to set the "winner" number to unlimited?

Most of the forums events I run are something along the lines of "do this correctly and automatically win"

EDIT:
Additionally, is there a way where instead of questions, users input something into a text box (i.e. a image link) along with some text, and when the winners are exported this data gets exported along with it?

Last edited:
The system isn't really designed to have that many winners - it might work, but I suspect with the process involved in picking winners you would likely hit various timeouts due to the number of winners being processed. Theoretically, there's nothing to stop you from entering a large number, but I can't say it will reliably work.

Unfortunately question based competitions are the only thing supported at this time.

My users are reporting that even if they meet the required age group and are in the allowed usergroup, they still cannot access the competition.
The allowed usergroup is a secondary usergroup with a minimum post count

Members have been seeing this when they enter
You do not have permission to submit an entry for this competition

I had set a minimum age group and only specific usergroups where allowed to enter

As some members didnt have their age in their profile, they fixed it and still couldnt get in.

So I removed the age restriction and still they cant get in.

If you can PM me with login details for a user account that has no access, and also login details for a staff account that can modify competitions, I will see if I can track this down.

Then you should already have the fix for this.

I'll test that, later, but this is the query that should have fixed it already:

Code:
ALTER TABLE xf_user CHANGE COLUMN competition_entries competition_entries BLOB NULL

Top Bottom