1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Changing forum to a category

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Code Monkey, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Well-Known Member

I see no direct way to change an existing forum to a category. Is there something I am missing or what is the best way to do this directly in the database if there is no admin option?

I would like to get rid of that pesky empty thread box without losing the existing category id links.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Easiest would be to delete the forum, recreate the new one, and change IDs in the database. Then rebuild your caches.

3. Code Monkey

Yeah, I will have to try that. Have you done it? It doesn't look like you can change the forum type directly in the database.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy XenForo Moderator Staff Member

I have not personally done it, no.

5. Code Monkey

Well it worked fine. Thanks

One interesting note though. I have a route filter on the original forum node. Even though I deleted that forum node and moved all subforums to the new category node, with the id of the original forum node id, a link to the url that is listed in the route controller still displays it like it did when it was a forum node and not a cat node.

6. Code Monkey

It looks like it also picks up the node type from the /forums/ in the url structure. Interesting