1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.2 Changing forum to a category

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Code Monkey, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Code Monkey

Code Monkey Well-Known Member

I see no direct way to change an existing forum to a category. Is there something I am missing or what is the best way to do this directly in the database if there is no admin option?

I would like to get rid of that pesky empty thread box without losing the existing category id links.

2. Jeremy

Jeremy Well-Known Member

Easiest would be to delete the forum, recreate the new one, and change IDs in the database. Then rebuild your caches.

3. Code Monkey

Yeah, I will have to try that. Have you done it? It doesn't look like you can change the forum type directly in the database.

4. Jeremy

Jeremy Well-Known Member

I have not personally done it, no.

5. Code Monkey

Well it worked fine. Thanks

One interesting note though. I have a route filter on the original forum node. Even though I deleted that forum node and moved all subforums to the new category node, with the id of the original forum node id, a link to the url that is listed in the route controller still displays it like it did when it was a forum node and not a cat node.

6. Code Monkey

It looks like it also picks up the node type from the /forums/ in the url structure. Interesting