XF 2.1 Change Username Error - "was previously used by another user"

ProCom

Hey All!

I want to give a newer member the username of an inactive / old member with no posts.

In the past, it seems this worked:
  1. "UserA" exists
  2. "UserB" exists
  3. Change "UserA" to "UserA-OLD"
  4. Change "UserB" to "UserA"

So, I tried that process and got this error:

Oops! We ran into some problems.
  • Please enter another name. The specified user name was previously used by another user.
  • Please enter a valid name.
Any ideas why this isn't working and/or what I can do to give this newer member the old member's username?

Seems that once the old username is changed, it should be available to associate with a different account, no?

Is this XF 2.2 or XF 2.1?

I don't recognise that error message, exactly, and this functionality isn't something we added until XF 2.2.

I suspect you may have an add-on in XF 2.1 so you would have to report that to the author.

I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't run into this in XF 2.2 assuming you are an admin who is changing the username from the admin control panel.

Thanks for the quick reply @Chris D !

I'm on XF 2.1.11

I hadn't even considered it being an addon issue. Hmm..

The only thing I can think of is maybe @Xon User Essentials 3.6.2 or his User Mentions Improvements 2.7.0

... I don't see any other addons that I would think would be impacting usernames.

I guess I could try disabling those addons and giving it a try.

DOH! Sorry guys!

Thanks for the help!

I guess the silver-lining is now hopefully when someone does a Google or XF search (like I did) for the phrase "specified user name was previously used by another user", this thread will come up.

Top Bottom