• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.1 Change /forums/

How would I go about changing the /forums/ part of the hyperlink to something else (such as /boards/)? My forum is hosted on a subdomain on my website (forum.mysite) so it looks strange having the world forum appear twice in the hyperlink.

Thanks for the link, but is there a way to do it by editing the files themselves? If someone can give me a list of what files need editing I can take it from there. If not I’ll have to use the plugin.

Lycaon

Using a plugin is better.

If you edit the files there's a strong chance your changes will be overwritten when you upgrade.

James

Using the plugin is probably safer. All it does is changes the route, there's no downside. You can change the /view/ route yourself to any other route by changing the $outputPrefix in the files.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Thanks for the link, but is there a way to do it by editing the files themselves? If someone can give me a list of what files need editing I can take it from there. If not I’ll have to use the plugin.
That addon does two things:

1) It modifies the output of the forums route when building a link. This can also be done by editing the library/XenForo/Route/Prefix/Forums.php file.

2) It adds a new route for 'view' that points to the existing 'forums' handler. New routes are created through the Development tab in the Admin CP (which that addon has done for you). I am sure this can be done with a file edit but I have never attempted it. And there is no reason to do this with a file edit since an interface has been provided in the Admin CP.

An addon is the best way to handle this.

Jake Bunce

XenForo moderator
Staff member
Using the plugin is probably safer. All it does is changes the route, there's no downside. You can change the /view/ route yourself to any other route by changing the $outputPrefix in the files.
There are actually two changes if you want to use a route name other than 'view':

1) Edit the library/ChangeForumsRoute/ForumsRoute.php file:

Code:
<?php

class ChangeForumsRoute_ForumsRoute extends XFCP_ChangeForumsRoute_ForumsRoute
{
	public function buildLink($originalPrefix, $outputPrefix, $action, $extension, $data, array &$extraParams)
	{
		$outputPrefix = 'view';

return parent::buildLink($originalPrefix, $outputPrefix, $action, $extension, $data, $extraParams);
	}
}
2) Edit the route prefix in the Admin CP:

View attachment 21191