1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.1 Bug in Apache 2.2.23 killed SEO

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by mcadx, Oct 26, 2012.

1. mcadx

mcadx Member

Any time users tried viewing any content pages they'd get a 404 error.

Upon some discovery, my host upgraded to Apache 2.2.23 and it botched SEO on my XF install.

Has anyone else encountered this? For the time being I still have SEO turned off but it's killing my guest traffic. I believe the fix is to change "RewriteBase /" to "RewriteBase /community/" but I'm not certain. Any input is appreciated.
  2. TheBigK

TheBigK Well-Known Member

Could you explain it a bit in more detail? My site generated a ton of 404 errors too and ranking dropped. Maybe I need to look into this a bit in more detail as well.
  3. mcadx

mcadx Member

That's pretty much all the detail I have. The link in the original post explains the issue.

I just noticed that any time I tried to navigate to any part of the forum other than /community, I'd get a 404 as did all of my users. Tapatalk/ForumRunner still worked with no issues. As soon as I turned off SEO, it started working again but guest traffic is 25% of what it was.
  4. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

Oh this would explain this then ! Can you check please?
    Jake Bunce and mcadx like this.
  5. mcadx

mcadx Member

Yep, same issue. Changed "RewriteBase /" to "RewriteBase /community" and it fixed it
    Jake Bunce and cclaerhout like this.
  6. cclaerhout

cclaerhout Well-Known Member

Thank you !!! I now know the reason of that bug :)
    mcadx likes this.