Breaks suck

Cupara

I really need to stop taking breaks when coding. Everytime I start up again I have to relearn certain aspects. Anyone else have that issue? Think its good to take breaks maybe it helps in retaining the information?

I mean coming back now I don't have to relearn or remember as much as I did the last time I took a break.

I have never had that problem. But I tend to be a very slow and deliberate programmer, biting off little bits at a time and taking time to thoroughly understand and internalize each little bit. So I don't easily forget.

See no matter how fast or slow I go, its the same problem. I've had this problem since my teens due to a bike accident but I think this process is helping my memory.

Look at your old code :)
I wonder if there was a way of documenting what you've learned to make it easy to pick it up when you need the information the next time.

LOL There is never an easy way of documenting what one person learns. It can become so unorganized in the end.

What you could do however is while your coding you could create a script that would code for you so that when you take a break you will never have to relearn it. :D

But seriously so long as you take your time and maybe run through each and every snippet of code a couple of times then maybe you will be able to remember how things work a little better.

I think I have learned a lot since I started coding but with certain platforms changing code so many times throughout a year, it becomes a headache to continue keeping up to date.

Only issues I have after taking a break is re-training my muscle memory to be as fast as before (With minimal errors).

That and easing back into working on stuff.

I wonder if there was a way of documenting what you've learned to make it easy to pick it up when you need the information the next time.

I usually make notes while reading, I find that helps a lot. Also, I created a post so others can effectively learn how to program with a sweet learning curve (so each step is just that bit further than the last). (Link in my sig if you're interested.)

What you could do however is while your coding you could create a script that would code for you so that when you take a break you will never have to relearn it. :D

Lol sounds like metaprogramming (code that writes code) - something you can do in Ruby :D

I usually make notes while reading, I find that helps a lot. Also, I created a post so others can effectively learn how to program with a sweet learning curve (so each step is just that bit further than the last). (Link in my sig if you're interested.)

Lol sounds like metaprogramming (code that writes code) - something you can do in Ruby :D
LIES!

Just curious Steve are you still lead developer, developing for and on the xfarcade?
As of right now no, I believe Kevin found a suitable replacement but he has not sent me any PC's regarding XFA. I had to stop developing on it due to real life and my site needing attention. Now my mods are lacking quite a bit so I need to get them updated but after that I plan to return to XFA.

Just curious Steve are you still lead developer, developing for and on the xfarcade?
Thanks for bringing it up, I feel like an ass. LOL I should have messaged Kevin instead of waiting for him. So I messaged him, offering some help if he needs it but not taking over the project again.

Thanks for bringing it up, I feel like an ass. LOL I should have messaged Kevin instead of waiting for him. So I messaged him, offering some help if he needs it but not taking over the project again.

There was no way of me knowing if you told Kevin. I assumed after trying out xfarcade yesterday now was a good time to ask about development since you are speaking of projects you have going and last time i checked you are/were developing for it.

There was no way of me knowing if you told Kevin. I assumed after trying out xfarcade yesterday now was a good time to ask about development since you are speaking of projects you have going and last time i checked you are/were developing for it.
LOL yeah he was aware of it. What do you think of it so far? Any suggestions? You can PC me suggestions for it if you want.

Top Bottom