XF 2.2 Bounce Connection Error

BasilFawlty

Getting a lot of these error:

Bounce Connection Error: host don't allow connection (Getting similar Unsubscribe Error: host doesn't allow connection)
src/vendor/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php:101
Generated by: Unknown account

Stack Trace

Code:
Stack trace
#0 src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php(45): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Imap->connect('ssl://mail.brit...', 465, 'ssl')
#1 src/XF/Mail/Storage/Imap.php(26): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Imap->__construct('mail.br...', 465, 'SSL')
#2 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(256): XF\Mail\Storage\Imap::setupFromHandler(Array)
#3 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(15): XF\EmailBounce\Processor::getDefaultBounceHandlerStorage(Object(XF\Pub\App))
#4 src/XF/Container.php(28): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->XF\SubContainer\{closure}(Object(XF\Container))
#5 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(43): XF\Container->offsetGet('storage')
#6 src/XF/Job/EmailBounce.php(20): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->storage()
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(258): XF\Job\EmailBounce->run(8)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(200): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(84): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#10 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#11 {main}

Request state

PHP:
array(4) {
  ["url"] => string(18) "/community/job.php"
  ["referrer"] => string(53) "https://www.**************.com/community/login/login"
  ["_GET"] => array(0) {
  }
  ["_POST"] => array(0) {
  }
}

Any ideas? I've tried both my regular port: 26 and 465 with and without SSL.

Last edited:
Here is my info (w/domain name changed)
Connection type: POP3
Host: example.com:995
Username: bounce@example.com
Encryption: SSL

Using the same settings for unsubscribe with just the username being unsubscribe instead of bounce.

My email transport method is: PHP built-in mail system

Which ones are you using?

BasilFawlty, Not sure if you've fixed your issue by now. I was getting the same error and had it setup as TLS. I changed it to SSL and the errors went away. I see you are using SSL, but are using IMAP. I setup using POP3.

Not sure if that helps, but perhaps changing to TLS and/or POP3 might take care of it.

Love your name, btw.

BasilFawlty, I looked up your new error and it is indicating it either cannot connect to the server, or else that the authentication is not working. Might be worth connecting to email via your webmail or something like outlook just to confirm that you can connect to the mailbox and that the email and password are working.

Seeker-Smith, with those errors on SSL for you, perhaps try changing it to TLS on port 993.

Here is my info (w/domain name changed)
Connection type: POP3
Host: example.com:995
Username: bounce@example.com
Encryption: SSL

Using the same settings for unsubscribe with just the username being unsubscribe instead of bounce.

My email transport method is: PHP built-in mail system

Which ones are you using?
My email transport method is set to SMTP using SSL with port 465 and normal mail from the server works fine. UPDATE: I changed the bounce and unsubscribe settings to what you are using and that seems to have fixed the issue. No more errors. Thanks!!

I've noticed I'm getting this same error for the last 45 days randomly starting beginning of June. I've used SMTP with AWS SES for year without issue. How do I troubleshoot this? Here is the full error:

• Laminas\Mail\Exception\RuntimeException: Bounce connection error: cannot login, user or password wrong
  • src/XF/Mail/Storage/Imap.php:32
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Jul 29, 2022 at 7:53 PM

Stack trace​

#0 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(256): XF\Mail\Storage\Imap::setupFromHandler(Array)
#1 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(15): XF\EmailBounce\Processor::getDefaultBounceHandlerStorage(Object(XF\Pub\App))
#2 src/XF/Container.php(28): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->XF\SubContainer\{closure}(Object(XF\Container))
#3 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(43): XF\Container->offsetGet('storage')
#4 src/XF/Job/EmailBounce.php(20): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->storage()
#5 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(258): XF\Job\EmailBounce->run(8)
#6 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(200): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(84): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#8 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#9 {main}

Request state​

array(4) {
["url"] => string(8) "/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(66) "xxxxx"
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

I enabled SES for bounce and I started getting this error too.
  • Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Exception\RuntimeException: Bounce connection error: host doesn't allow connection
  • src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php:101
  • Generated by: Unknown account
  • Jan 21, 2024 at 6:53 PM

#0 src/vendor/laminas/laminas-mail/src/Protocol/Imap.php(45): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Imap->connect('email-smtp.us-e...', 587, 'tls')
#1 src/XF/Mail/Storage/Imap.php(28): Laminas\Mail\Protocol\Imap->__construct('email-smtp.us-e...', 587, 'TLS')
#2 src/XF/EmailBounce/Processor.php(256): XF\Mail\Storage\Imap::setupFromHandler(Array)
#3 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(15): XF\EmailBounce\Processor::getDefaultBounceHandlerStorage(Object(XF\Pub\App))
#4 src/XF/Container.php(31): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->XF\SubContainer\{closure}(Object(XF\Container))
#5 src/XF/SubContainer/Bounce.php(43): XF\Container->offsetGet('storage')
#6 src/XF/Job/EmailBounce.php(20): XF\SubContainer\Bounce->storage()
#7 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(260): XF\Job\EmailBounce->run(8)
#8 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(202): XF\Job\Manager->runJobInternal(Array, 8)
#9 src/XF/Job/Manager.php(86): XF\Job\Manager->runJobEntry(Array, 8)
#10 job.php(43): XF\Job\Manager->runQueue(false, 8)
#11 {main}

array(4) {
["url"] => string(8) "/job.php"
["referrer"] => string(92) "https://www.aaaaaa
["_GET"] => array(0) {
}
["_POST"] => array(0) {
}
}

Top Bottom