1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beta 2 to Beta 3

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by Pope Viper, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Pope Viper

Pope Viper Well-Known Member

After getting into the admin CP, I receive this:

Error

This action is available via POST only. Please press the back button and try again.[/quote]

2. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What is the URL of the page that gives that error? You can censor out your domain if you want, but we need to know the end of the URL.

Also, what steps produce this error? Are you doing something specific after logging in?

3. Pope Viper

4. Pope Viper

Update: If I click on another link in the adminCP, it gives me the attached screenshot:

After selecting "complete upgrade", the upgrade continued/completed.

Attached Files:

5. Jake Bunce

Is javascript disabled in your browser? The Admin CP requires javascript.

With javascript disabled it's possible to expose the POST action with a failed login attempt. The POST action then becomes the redirect location following a successful second login attempt. I was able to reproduce this on my forum. Though I'm not sure this qualifies as a bug since the Admin CP specifically requires javascript.

Can you login to the Admin CP now that the upgrade is done?

6. Pope Viper

Yes, once the upgrade completed, I was able to log into the AdminCP with no further issue.

Javascript was enabled.

7. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

The admincp should be able to function without javascript.

8. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

Screen shot 2010-11-12 at 16.14.40.png

9. mjp

mjp Well-Known Member

The same thing happened when I upgraded, for what it's worth. I don't remember what I did - I probably just went back to /install or admin.php and everything proceeded fine. No details, I know, not exactly helpful. But it did strike me as buggy. And it has nothing to do with javascript.

10. Lawrence

Lawrence Well-Known Member

Could the JS have been changed for beta 3, and an old version was still cached in your browser and used?

You have Beta 4? Awww, not fair! :p

11. Jake Bunce

Hmm. I played with this for a while yesterday, speculating as to how that could happen. Javascript is all I could come up with.

We really need instructions to reproduce the problem.

12. Nasr

Nasr Well-Known Member

I got the same error and all i did was backspace and it took me to the upgrade process. :S

13. Jake Bunce

I just tested this with the upgrade process and found a similar problem as before.

A failed login attempt on the upgrade page exposes the POST action (admin.php?login/login) and takes you to the Admin CP login form. At this point you have left the upgrade page completely. A successful second login attempt redirects you to admin.php?login/login via GET which further confuses the problem with a 'This action is available via POST only' error.

The upgrade login form shouldn't take you to the Admin CP after a failed login attempt. It should keep you on the upgrade page for successive login attempts.

I think this qualifies as a bug so I have posted it:

http://xenforo.com/community/thread...ttempt-takes-you-away-from-upgrade-page.7942/

Jurhum and Dean like this.
  14. Paul M

Paul M Well-Known Member

I think you mis-understood. I know it says it needs it. My point is I dont believe javascript should be a requirement to use the acp.

JFYI, I often turn it off for testing the importer, and ive never actually had a problem using the rest of the acp with it switched off.