Best Posts - uncover your top content [Deleted]

I've been wanting something similar to this for a while now. Is there a way to show a list of the top rated posts below the first post with this mod?

I'm VERY interested in this addon!

I do agree 100% with the post below. In fact, when I first went to the demo I assumed you had to be logged in to figure out how to show the "Best Post" for a thread since I didn't see any way to do it. It wasn't until I read this thread and this post to see that it was in the main navigation menu... definitely not intuitive.

This is a GREAT idea and I love that it leverages the existing like system vs. building an entire new like / voting system. I would really like to see a better / more intuitive way to access the most liked posts in a specific thread.

One idea: Have a toggle button next to or even in the "thread tools" area that says, "Sort Chronological / Sort Most Liked" or something similar.

Cool add on Luke, nice to see you releasing again!

I did have a hard time finding the button though, I had to come back to this thread to see where you had highlighted before I switched back to your site to look again.

To me it's not intuitive to have a button that relates specifically to a thread in the sub nav.

I was looking for it in the blue box in this image as that's naturally where I would look for buttons that relate directly to the thread I'm reading.

View attachment 74928

I've been wanting something similar to this for a while now. Is there a way to show a list of the top rated posts below the first post with this mod?

Currently no but at a pinch you could strip out the dark_bestposts_list template and iframe it, or if you know what you're doing it'd be mostly a copy+paste job to make it work via a template hook

Definitely something I'm hoping to add properly in the future though

Usergroup permissions ?

At the moment it just goes by the standard view permissions, didn't make sense to have a separate permission

I'm VERY interested in this addon!

I do agree 100% with the post below. In fact, when I first went to the demo I assumed you had to be logged in to figure out how to show the "Best Post" for a thread since I didn't see any way to do it. It wasn't until I read this thread and this post to see that it was in the main navigation menu... definitely not intuitive.

This is a GREAT idea and I love that it leverages the existing like system vs. building an entire new like / voting system. I would really like to see a better / more intuitive way to access the most liked posts in a specific thread.

One idea: Have a toggle button next to or even in the "thread tools" area that says, "Sort Chronological / Sort Most Liked" or something similar.

Added something similar now in 1.1.0

Nice Demo Luke, awesome work.
Looking at buying this, thinking where to put the links as well, sitting with the breadcrumb maybe (y)

Just seems a little easier to spot.

View attachment 74981

Might have stolen your idea :p

Thanks for this.

One suggestion...implement a time frame for the global and forum lists of most liked posts. Popular Content had something like this that was quite useful.

popularthreads-png.42971

Edit:
Another suggestion - Add a section where a member can see their most liked posts.

Last edited:
Installed, thanks.

I am using a theme that uses font awesome, how can I put an icon next to Best Posts on the top? It looks odd sitting without an icon while the others have an icon.

Thanks.

Installed, thanks.

I am using a theme that uses font awesome, how can I put an icon next to Best Posts on the top? It looks odd sitting without an icon while the others have an icon.

Thanks.

It will be in one of these templates: (not sure exactly which link you mean)

- dark_bestposts_pagenav
- dark_bestposts_navigation
- dark_bestposts_breadcrumb

Is there any type of caching built into this?

The number of positive ratings per post is cached in a table mapped 1:1 with xf_post, so the complexity of the main query used to build the best posts pages is pretty much identical to the one XF uses to display threads normally.

The cache is updated every 24 hours via cron for all posts that have been rated/liked since the last update, and up to every 15 minutes (on demand) for just the posts of a particular thread when the per-thread mode is accessed.

Like this addon, but been discussing it over on XenAdmins, I would suggest that its not so much best posts as highest rated posts (as the highest rated posts aren't always the best posts on the site - especially in our case lol). I'd love to see an option to specify this to only pull from certain forums, as well :)

On a sidenote, great to see you releasing stuff again :)

Purchased, works like a charm. Any plans with pulling data from your other add-on for post likes? Seeing the most disliked posts would appeal to our resident forum trolls :)

I'm having trouble with the blacklist. I listed my own ID and my posts are still showing up on the forum-wide list of best posts.

Edit: I've tried entering the post ID and still nothing. Not sure what "Rating ID" refers to. I'll dig around the database to try and find it.

Last edited:
I'm having trouble with the blacklist. I listed my own ID and my posts are still showing up on the forum-wide list of best posts.

Edit: I've tried entering the post ID and still nothing. Not sure what "Rating ID" refers to. I'll dig around the database to try and find it.

It's the rating id of a post ratings rating (like = 1, etc.)

Probably not something most people will need but I found on my forum that the highly 'emotional' posts with large numbers of friendly ratings dominated the interesting/funny posts, so I've got the friendly rating blacklisted

Top Bottom