[bd] Attachment Store [Deleted]

xfrocks

xfrocks submitted a new resource:

[bd] Attachment Store - Store attachment differently and more effectively.

[bd] Attachment Store
Store attachment differently and more effectively.

[FEATURES]
1. Store attachments in `data` directory
2. Store attachments with Amazon S3
3. Tools to move existing attachments to new storage

Demo: http://xfrocks.com/

[INSTALLATION]
1. Upload files and directories inside `upload` to XenForo's root directory. Select "Merge" for everything if you are asked
2. Import the .xml file using XenForo add-on importer
3. Configure working mode in AdminCP > Home >...

Read more about this resource...

I presume if i use S3 storage, it will only store a copy in S3, and the process is not reversible? e.g. what if I stop using S3 storage? or you provide the tools to migrate the attachments back?

I presume if i use S3 storage, it will only store a copy in S3, and the process is not reversible? e.g. what if I stop using S3 storage? or you provide the tools to migrate the attachments back?

It is reversible. There is a tool included to migrate attachments across different storage options. You can go from default to S3 and back as many times as you want.

I'm a complete newb at this so could someone explain what's the advantage here? Is this just for images?

Images or files in general. If you use S3, they can handle lots of bandwidth for you. If you use external data mode, it will make it easier on your server too (bypass all permission check etc.)

Images or files in general. If you use S3, they can handle lots of bandwidth for you. If you use external data mode, it will make it easier on your server too (bypass all permission check etc.)

Interesting. I'm assuming this is something you have to pay for? Does it affect caching as well or is that still server based?

Interesting. I'm assuming this is something you have to pay for? Does it affect caching as well or is that still server based?

If you use S3, yes you have to pay for the service.
If you use external data, you don't have to pay anything. Caching is very much server dependent. With external data mode, you can setup a proxy before your web server (nginx -> Apache+PHP for example) and have great throughput.

with this addon is possible to store attachments on my own subdomain, i.e. data.mydomain.com?

Yes, just map the subdomain to the same directory as your primary domain. And change the externalDataUrl in your $config map (config.php).

I have a question: will this also be in effect for the photos that will be uploaded from the XFUserAlbums addon? Since that add-on is treating photos as attachments, would that work there as well?

I have a question: will this also be in effect for the photos that will be uploaded from the XFUserAlbums addon? Since that add-on is treating photos as attachments, would that work there as well?

It should work. I haven't tested though, sorry.

Top Bottom