[bd] Attachment Store [Deleted]

Just upgrade (DO NOT UNINSTALL) and the new version will pick up old storage options and continue to work.

I repeat, do not uninstall the XF1 version because doing that will drop storage option column from your database.
Thanks for that info.

Just curious though for Attachment Store XF 2.x version, how stable has the move tool been for moving attachments from external /data directory back to XF default ?

Just curious though for Attachment Store XF 2.x version, how stable has the move tool been for moving attachments from external /data directory back to XF default ?

@xfrocks, please.

I have the same question as @eva2000. As far as I remember, moving back to the local server did not work in the version for Xenforo 1.5...

I am migrating to Xenfor 2.2 soon and would like to test the moving for security reasons.

Can I test this with the version for 1.5 (which probably doesn't work properly) and/or after migrating to version Xenforo 2.2 from a local xampp copy of the live version to be sure?
Or can this not work from a fully copied version or it destroys something in the S3?

As I see it, its best to move it back while still on XF1. Not after upgrading to XF2. However, there can be problems with it. It went south for me as 110k attachments were initially lost. @xfrocks fixed 90k broken forum attachments for me. Attachments in XFRM, XFMG and @Bob 's addons are still broken and can hopefully be fixed next.

TLDR. What I would do if I had to decide again is: Make a copy of the S3 and the install. Do a test import. Then do a scan with a tool like Screaming Frog SEO Spider or similar to find all broken attachment links.

We keep the move tool in XF1 and XF2 in sync so technically they work identically.

The move tool has issues in the past and all known bugs have been fixed so moving back to default should work for both versions. In special cases like @Alpha1's, it's unclear what happened so it's impossible to debug therefore no fix has been made in regard to his issue. The add-on (both XF1/XF2 versions) work in a file-safe way so it's possible to recover the attachment data as long as no manual deletions occur.

Thank you @xfrocks very much for your pleasant reply.

You say that moving would be file-safe.
Does this mean 100% reliably that I can test the moving with a local copy of the Xenforo forums (1.5 and/or already test-migrated to 2.2) in a local XAMPP instance with the LIVE (!) S3 bucket? The S3 instance/bucket withs its 200,000 files are not changed in any way?

I.e. even after a successful or failed move within the copy on XAMPP, the LIVE Xenforo forums continues to run 100% unchanged with the identical S3 bucket with 200k images?

No @Triops, file safe means the add-on does the database changes first. If that goes well, it will delete the file later. In the event of an error or bug, it's possible to modify the database to restore attachment access.

So you shouldn't clone production to a staging site and run the move tool there. It WILL delete some files from the bucket. The number of files deleted depends on how long you keep the staging running. If you really want to test migration from S3 -> default, use a read only IAM role.

@xfrocks
One more question. please:

I saw that I had checked "Keep local copy" since I started using it (some years ago) and accordingly there are a large number of thumbs in the data/attachments and data/xengallery folders and the same amount of binary files in the internal_data/attachments folder.

Is it safe to deactivate or even test uninstalling the addon on the local staging copy in the XAMPP instance, even if the connection data to the S3 is still stored in the local addon options and nothing will be changed in the S3 then?
Or is it better to delete the Access Key ID to S3 in the option to be sure that nothing is changed in S3 and LIVE continues to run unchanged?

Can I simply turn your plugin on and off this way because there are local copies, and Xenforo then accesses either the images at the path to the S3 or at the local directories - without any "moving"?

Please excuse these absolute beginner questions. I am just very unsure how this is related and how it works. I'd rather ask this twice...
I would like to test disabling the addon and not using it anymore - just to know that it is safe to continue using this addon when migrating to xf2.2 and for the next 200k images :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ok, that was really easy. For all those who might also be unsure:

If you have a local copy for all attachments and Media Gallery content (i.e. always had the checkbox in options checked), it's enough to disable the addon (I simply upgraded Xenforo from 1.5 to 2.2 and left [bd] API deactivated). It looks like Xenforo then accesses the local copies directly for thumbs and media, just as if the addon had never been used.

I will test this out further, but it looks good.

This is correct. If you keep local copies then you can disable the add-on and the site will switch from S3 URL to XF's for attachments. You can enable it back anytime to restore serving from S3.

This is perfect, just perfect. So I have the best of both worlds (using S3 and local backup) and could change/return whenever I want.
So, thank you @xfrocks, I will keep using your great addon at least for the next 200k images (and keep the "local copy" checked continuously) :)

This is correct. If you keep local copies then you can disable the add-on and the site will switch from S3 URL to XF's for attachments. You can enable it back anytime to restore serving from S3.

What if we've never used S3 but always used just an external directory, such as forum/data ? what happens if we disable/remove the addon? is there a way to disable/remove it?

edit: I saw above there is a "move" tool? where I can find that?

If you are keeping the files in data, you need to move them back to default before disabling / uninstalling.

Any Xenforo error-log entrys?
A link to the page what produces this error?
Any .htaccess entrys that prefent you from loading?

Anyone tried this XF2 addon using BunnyCDN FTP?
I can't make it work :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom