[bd] Attachment Store [Deleted]

so i've done a bit of testing (hence spotting the issue above) and the move feature simply doesn't work when it comes to putting the images back to the default location. You can move images from default to s3 fine, but it doesn't work from s3 to default. I've setup a brand new xenforo install (1.5.4) and attachment store (1.3.5c) to test this.

Any change you can have a look into this? i want to run this on my production forum, however i don't want to move 1.4 million images to s3 if there's no way of getting them back. I don't want use the "keep local" option either, as that really defeats the object of moving them to s3 (i'm trying to decouple my implementation in AWS)

thx

so i've done a bit of testing (hence spotting the issue above) and the move feature simply doesn't work when it comes to putting the images back to the default location. You can move images from default to s3 fine, but it doesn't work from s3 to default. I've setup a brand new xenforo install (1.5.4) and attachment store (1.3.5c) to test this.

Any change you can have a look into this? i want to run this on my production forum, however i don't want to move 1.4 million images to s3 if there's no way of getting them back. I don't want use the "keep local" option either, as that really defeats the object of moving them to s3 (i'm trying to decouple my implementation in AWS)

thx
You could always move them back with the Amazon CLI (aws s3 cp s3-bucket/* localdir/). IIRC, the file structure stays the same...

unfortunately you can't do that as the file structure is different, you've have to move them to the data folder first, however i couldn't get this feature to work either it just keeps failing. Even if that did work you've fundamentally changed how the attachments system works with no way of going back to "default", which is a problem if xenforo releases a new version that doesn't work with the addon....

@xfrocks i'd also like to propose a feature request to use the ec2role feature for the security access to s3/cloudfront. Its not best practice to store the keys in the application/database, i appreciate if your not running on EC2 you've not got a choice however for people running in EC2 then that would massively improve the security.

You're *positive* the file structure is different? I can't get to mine right now to verify, but it sure seems odd that he would change the structure.

edit: And I agree on EC2 roles. That would be a nice feature.

okay so after some further testing, i can successfully move data from default to the the data folder, i can also move it back to default again. However it doesn't move data from s3 to the data folder, so it would appear that the move options don't work for getting data out of s3 regardless of the destination type (data or default).

That seems a shocker. I have attachments and gallery images moved to S3, but kept a local copy till now. Hope this will be enough and will work (with pathes and filenames) for changing fully back if quitting of this addon may be necessary.

@xfrocks Could you verify my error? I am still on 1.3.0 because of that.

i have the same issue, had to back down to 1.5.4 to get it to work

I assume you meant to say Attachment Store version 1.3.4?

Is there a reason you’re using Xenforo version 1.5.4 released on 12/14/15 vs something more current? I’m not sure if you feel that was the most stable xF release ever, or if you just have 1.5.4 on the brain.

That seems a shocker. I have attachments and gallery images moved to S3, but kept a local copy till now. Hope this will be enough and will work (with pathes and filenames) for changing fully back if quitting of this addon may be necessary.

@xfrocks Could you verify my error? I am still on 1.3.0 because of that.

if you've get them local, you can literally just turn off the addon and it will switch back to default (i tested that too). My issue is i want to get down to a small fleet of disposable instances on ec2 to save cost and improve recovery, i'm also working on bootstrapping my build but at the moment my fly in the ointment is my huge shared NFS server with 17 years of attachments and a single point of failure!

if you've get them local, you can literally just turn off the addon and it will switch back to default (i tested that too). My issue is i want to get down to a small fleet of disposable instances on ec2 to save cost and improve recovery, i'm also working on bootstrapping my build but at the moment my fly in the ointment is my huge shared NFS server with 17 years of attachments and a single point of failure!
I have kept a local copy since day 1. So you're telling me I can disable the addon, and the attachments will go back to the way they were?
As I'm trying to move them back to the local (default) location.

So, I've kept a local copy, and I disabled the addon. It still breaks the attachments.
Gotta be honest, this is not good.

that isn't good, and certainly not consistent with my testing, it appears this addon unfortunately has a number of issues and the author no longer seems interested :( though happy to take the money i guess :mad:

You have to run the Update Attachment Data Storage Options rebuild tool/cron to update the database paths back to the default provided your xenforo default folders and files are still there.

I've been using the add-on for the past 2 years and it works fine. There were a couple of issues along the way, but for the most part it works pretty darn good. The problem is once you remove those xenforo default files and folders there is no easy way to get them back. That's the risk you take when you move them off site.

Last edited:
that isn't good, and certainly not consistent with my testing, it appears this addon unfortunately has a number of issues and the author no longer seems interested :( though happy to take the money i guess :mad:

Not sure what you are talking about. Every time I've had an issue or question about any of his addons, he has been quick to respond or another user responds. If you are referring to the user's issue after reverting back to local site attachments, they just have to run the cron entry that was mentioned by @RSI

Looking forward to using this addon in v2 soon.

That's not true - I have always kept a local copy. Ran the move option after I set the settings back to local, and then ran a cron for updating the settings....they still don't work so I uncheck the addon, and it still doesn't work.

I need to find a way to enable them with the right amazon bucket again at least.

I need to find a way to enable them with the right amazon bucket again at least.

The trick is to only enter the one or two necessary fields in the Update Attachment Data Storage Options rebuild tool. If you enter all of the fields in all of the boxes it often won’t work. You have to enter just the one or two fields you need to change back. It’s kinda tricky, but it will work.

Using the tool, you just enter the one or two fields that are wrong, but you have to know what they are/were. Say you were using an old an URL. Well, you enter all of the new fields like the URL for the add-on in the Attachment options ACP settings then when running the tool/cron you enter only the old information you want to change.

The Update Attachment Data Storage Options rebuild tool works, but it has to be used the correct way. I took me a while to figure it out myself. Usually want happens is people don’t know how to use it and they enter the wrong or too much information in the fields.

Top Bottom