[bd] Attachment Store [Deleted]

Just purchased. Although I am still some miles away from migrating to xF, I certainly need to support this add-on writer. ;)

One thing I noticed when briefly looking at your code is that you're intercepting the error xF would show when a file cannot be found or accessed. I suppose that's why you said initially that files cannot remain on the server if they are to be served from S3/CloudFront.

I wonder... why not skip calling the parent of Attachment::actionIndex()? The only thing the parent class does before throwing the above mentioned error is to validate the attachment Id and check access permissions through the attachment model. You could do that in your subclass and completely skip calling the parent here. Then you could also allow for files to coexist on the server (well, I suppose you'd also have to modify your datawriter to allow attachments to be saved on both, S3 and the server). You could make it an option "keep files on server", for the true paranoid among us. Just in case you run out of ideas how to improve this nice add-on... :)

One thing I noticed when briefly looking at your code is that you're intercepting the error xF would show when a file cannot be found or accessed. I suppose that's why you said initially that files cannot remain on the server if they are to be served from S3/CloudFront.

I wonder... why not skip calling the parent of Attachment::actionIndex()? The only thing the parent class does before throwing the above mentioned error is to validate the attachment Id and check access permissions through the attachment model. You could do that in your subclass and completely skip calling the parent here. Then you could also allow for files to coexist on the server (well, I suppose you'd also have to modify your datawriter to allow attachments to be saved on both, S3 and the server). You could make it an option "keep files on server", for the true paranoid among us. Just in case you run out of ideas how to improve this nice add-on... :)
I don't want to completely replace that method. May cause trouble if another addon do the same thing. If I do it that way, I can't blame the other dev for the conflict!

You could make it an option "keep files on server", for the true paranoid among us.
I'd really wish to have this option too, and also allow to specify files types with that option. It'll then be a must-buy for us.:)

Also, any considerations for storing videos?

I'd really wish to have this option too, and also allow to specify files types with that option. It'll then be a must-buy for us.:)

Also, any considerations for storing videos?

You can move the files back from S3/FTP server anytime.

Video files are supported. In fact, all filetypes are supported :D

FYI: Chris Deeming's Xen Media Gallery add-on is now fully working with this add-on (pre-1.1.2 has trouble showing the full images). I'm working with another author to improve compatibility too. Stay tuned!

Compatibility with [bd] Attachment Store:

Thank you to xfrocks who advised on a number of suggestions to ensure compatibility with Xen Media Gallery and the amazing [bd] Attachment Store add-on.

One of the killer features of [bd] Attachment Store is that it allows you to store forum attachments in Amazon S3 + CloudFront. As Xen Media Gallery leverages the power of the XenForo attachment system, you can now use the gallery in conjunction with Attachment Store to serve up your media items from Amazon S3 and other storage.

Because you asked so nicely... v0.9.8 has just been released and included "Keep Local File" option (y)

Brilliant! You are such a nice guy and such an efficient coder, xfrocks! :)(y)

Even though our site is still in testing phase, I will certainly buy this very soon - to support you, such a wonderful add-on developer. Thanks, xfrocks!!!

Random question, but can anyone throw a dollar figure at me for say, serving 1000gb per month through amazon?

Top Bottom