XF 2.1 Ban all users with same registration IP

PJK

I'm battling some spam issues, and all registered with the same IP. I want to spam clean all of those. I've blocked the IP, but they are already created and then login with different IPs to spam. Spam cleaning causes me to manually click Spam Clean on thousands of accounts.

How can I enter an IP and ban all users with that registration IP?
Thanks

Take a look at the "batch update users" tool. You might find something else there all the accounts have in common, if so you can mass delete them all. Registration IP unfortunately, is not one of the options.

Banning IP addresses for spambots is a poor solution and an unending battle. They just switch to different IPS.

Do yourself a huge favor and choose one of the solutions below:
  1. Change the options so that ALL new registrations need manual approval. And then install @AndyB's addon to allow mass deletions from the approval queue: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/approval-queue-tools-paid.192069/
  2. Or install one of @Ozzie47's spaminator addons.
Yes it's an extra cost but it will prevent recurrence of your problem and save you a LOT of time and headaches.

How can I enter an IP and ban all users with that registration IP?
You cannot do this without coding. The simplest way of doing this would be adding a user search criterion "Registration IP" via new addon (I don't think there's such an addon). I assume that should be quite easy to do - an experienced developer should be able to do this in half an hour. Then you can use that criterion for the "Batch update users" page in order to ban or delete these users. But you cannot use "batch update users" for spam-cleaning. That would also require (more) coding.

Banning IP addresses for spambots is a poor solution and an unending battle. They just switch to different IPS.
right. I would not ban any spammer's IP. As long as they always use the same IP it's easier to find them ;)

It happens often actually. When same spammer is putting same stuff in one or more of the fields covered in batch update, you have the hook needed to group and delete them all.
Yeah, that's right. But I meant you cannot use the spam cleaner feature (XF Core), which deletes all content and bans user at the same time, with "batch update users".

Top Bottom