Backupsy

MattW

I've just started using Backupsy (<- yes, that's my affiliate link ;)) as a cheap way to provide an extra backup to my site (databases and forum files).

They currently have a 40% off for life voucher, so you can get a decent amount of space for not a lot of money.

40% Off For Life Coupon: 40PERCENT

They have loads of OS templates you can use, including many pre-configured Cloud hosting setups.

I've opened a single support ticket with them, which was answered in 30 minutes.

I'm running a base bones Ubuntu 13.04 install as an RSYNC server

upload_2013-10-15_0-1-23.webp

Code:
matt@kickseed:~$ df -h
Filesystem           Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mapper/vg-root  491G   30G  436G   7% /
none                 4.0K     0  4.0K   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
udev                 240M  4.0K  240M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 50M  380K   50M   1% /run
none                 5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
none                 248M     0  248M   0% /run/shm
none                 100M     0  100M   0% /run/user
/dev/mapper/vg-tmp   945M  1.2M  895M   1% /tmp
/dev/vda1            223M   29M  182M  14% /boot

and a little speed test to the VPS

Rich (BB code):
matt@kickseed:~$ wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
--2013-10-07 17:04:23--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)... 205.234.175.175
Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net (cachefly.cachefly.net)|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
Saving to: ‘100mb.test’

100%[==================================================================================================================================================================================================>] 104,857,600 80.0MB/s  in 1.2s

2013-10-07 17:04:24 (80.0 MB/s) - ‘100mb.test’ saved [104857600/104857600]

We use them for some of our smaller backups and have never had issues. Can't speak for downtime, but it's always up the 4 times a day or so that we make backups. :)

I found a cracking offer on WHT, where I got the 500GB VPS for $7 a month ($13 lifetime discount)

Once you setup your server, do you need to keep it up to date with security patches? or will it be patched automatically?

Once you setup your server, do you need to keep it up to date with security patches? or will it be patched automatically?
You still need to keep it patched yourself. It's basically an unmanaged VPS with large storage.

You still need to keep it patched yourself. It's basically an unmanaged VPS with large storage.
Kind of like the 1.8TB Dell I got running at the house. :p
Not the "fastest" internet speed, but it's plenty fast for what I need it to do. If I didn't already have that set up I'd probably be jumping on this in a heartbeat.

Kind of like the 1.8TB Dell I got running at the house. :p
Not the "fastest" internet speed, but it's plenty fast for what I need it to do. If I didn't already have that set up I'd probably be jumping on this in a heartbeat.
I have a 1TB NAS in the house, which I used to use for this. The reason I've gone for this is because the NAS is an Iomega, and it's running a very stripped down kernel, and I can't even enable cron on it to run my own scripts.

I have a 1TB NAS in the house, which I used to use for this. The reason I've gone for this is because the NAS is an Iomega, and it's running a very stripped down kernel, and I can't even enable cron on it to run my own scripts.
Hehehehe... Mine is a simple Dell PowerEdge 2900 with 8 SCSI in RAID 5 array with BBU. Runs the full blow Debian (since it's my test bed). I haven't been leaving it on all the time (trying to be energy conserving) but will probably start and set the cron job up for it.

That gives me 500Gb @ $20 per month, less $8 discount = $12 per month.
I was interested in how/where you got 500Gb for $7 per month ?

They used to run the $7 ad all the time, but it looks like prices went up slightly. You might want to contact them directly and see what they can work out.

Went ahead (even with my home setup) and got a 500GB one... and 3 hours after my money was pulled from the account I'm STILL in pending status for my VPS. Not making for a warm fuzzy feeling.:confused:

EDIT:

Shows my "billing period" starts on the 15'th... and here it is the 16th and still no VPS provisioned and no reply to my ticket. We will see if they make adjustments to the billing period to reflect when the VPS actually is provisioned and not the order placed.

Last edited:
Went ahead (even with my home setup) and got a 500GB one... and 3 hours after my money was pulled from the account I'm STILL in pending status for my VPS. Not making for a warm fuzzy feeling.:confused:
Completed now? I did mine yesterday .... 11:17 payment confirmation, 12:17 VPS ready, 12:27 OS installed. Maybe just a very busy day for them?

I've just started using Backupsy (<- yes, that's my affiliate link ;)) as a cheap way to provide an extra backup to my site (databases and forum files).
Out of interest, what backup method are you using? I've setup and trialling rsnapshot to use with it currently.

Completed now? I did mine yesterday .... 11:17 payment confirmation, 12:17 VPS ready, 12:27 OS installed. Maybe just a very busy day for them?
Nope... STILL in a pending status and no response to the ticket I submitted. As I said - not boding well. :cautious:
The only thing I can think of is I chose the Dallas location (even though my main servers are in Florida. Wanted some distance between the two just in case.

Out of interest, what backup method are you using? I've setup and trialling rsnapshot to use with it currently.
I'll be setting up rsync like I did on my server here at the house.

Top Bottom