1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lack of Interest Avatar upload from URL

Discussion in 'Closed Suggestions' started by Russ, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

I searched the forums but didn't see this out there.

More options are usually a good thing haha :), any plans to have the ability to link to an avatar?

Link to outside source

Just a thought! :)
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Upload and gravatars are already allowed.

Only URL isn't at the moment.

topcat likes this.
  3. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ya :) my list was just stating which are there currently, and which I think would be a good fit :) - didn't make that too clear haha
  4. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

But do you really want your sites page loading time to be dependent upon a remote site?
  5. Nick

Nick Well-Known Member

Nope. ;)
    KURTZ likes this.
  6. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

no, you fetch the avatar once and store it locally.
    Nick likes this.
  7. Brogan

I'm glad the dev's haven't allowed avatars via URL.
  8. Russ

Russ Well-Known Member

Ya it's really no biggie, I went to link my avatar on my website, realized I couldn't, hit save - > then upload.

But I hadn't seen this discussion so it was more to spark one up :)
  9. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

So it's really upload from a remote URL, not link to it. ;)
  10. Disjunto

Disjunto Well-Known Member

yes, any other option is a bad idea. We don't want to be hotlinking for avatars
  11. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

+1 :)

TRACKER New Member

Hi all, I don't know why because, in this moment, We can't add avatar from URL, please add this simple function for You script ;)

Greetings, Robert.
    James likes this.
  13. Cezz

Cezz Well-Known Member

+1 here... I like this idea and it should be very simple to do.
  14. KURTZ

KURTZ Well-Known Member

uhm .. personally i prefer the gravatar system, you can associate a specific image to a specific e-mail, this allow us to recognize you everywhere ... :D
  15. Kier

Kier XenForo Developer Staff Member

You could always download the image in question and then upload it from your computer - it doesn't seem like a major step to me, especially as the image will tend to be relatively small.
    Abomination likes this.
  16. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

I would like a user to be able to supply a URL for their avatar, and have the server grab the image from the remote location and save it locally. No hot-linking to the image, just a one time thing as it gets saved.
    anotheralias likes this.
  17. Floris

Floris Guest

I never quite understood why it is so hard for someone to just load the image in the browser, save it, and then use the upload feature for avatar?

It's a one second step "click, save"
    feldon30 likes this.
  18. Cobro

Cobro Member

19. Jesepi

Jesepi Well-Known Member

Because they want the quickest/easiest path. Reducing the number of steps to achieve something is what most people prefer. Instead of rightclick-save > name saved file > click upload avatar > browse for file > select file > click upload > go back and delete file, people want Paste address into field > click upload.
    anotheralias and Cobro like this.
  20. Brogan

If they want the easiest path of all then they should be using Gravatar as it's automatic ;)