Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration [Deleted]

Chris D

XenForo developer
Staff member
Chris Deeming submitted a new resource:

Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration - Force users to automatically watch a forum/forums and/or watch a thread/threads upon registering

Note: This add-on is only compatible with XenForo 1.2.x. I will not be making this compatible in any form with XenForo 1.1.x.

Description

This add-on gives you the following new options in Admin CP > Options > User Registration:

View attachment 50162

When a user registers, they will be automatically subscribed to the Forums and Threads selected with the options you specify.

They can, of course, unwatch...

Read more about this resource...

Nice work Chris. Always enjoy these add-ons. (y)

If you ever think about creating a x amount of posts to down per forum & usergroup I'd happily purchase that. :)

Chris.....this is AWESOME!!!

Perfect for automatically sending notifications for important announcements! Awesome man just awesome! I will be buying this soon ;)

That's great. What might be useful is a one-off admin option (or even just the SQL) to also force all current users to have the same setting as otherwise this will only apply to new registrations.

Yeah maybe. That kind of thing doesn't really scale well to large boards unless I use the cache rebuilder to do it. But, the add-on was never designed to be anything more than for new registrations so it would be a custom job if you wanted it doing (but my schedule is tight now until August and beyond)

Yeah maybe. That kind of thing doesn't really scale well to large boards unless I use the cache rebuilder to do it. But, the add-on was never designed to be anything more than for new registrations so it would be a custom job if you wanted it doing (but my schedule is tight now until August and beyond)

Fair enough. I didn't so much mean this for us, rather that it might help others and I thought it'd be straightforward.

What would happen with a simple SQL statement to select all users and set watched forum? Or would that be horrible performance-wise?

That would be horrible performance wise :)

It would need the help of a PHP script as well to grab the users as well, loop through them, run a query for each one etc.

This is some example code based on a much earlier version of this add-on which I wrote for [bd] Forum Watch:

PHP:
        $userModel = XenForo_Model::create('XenForo_Model_User');
        $users = $userModel->getAllUsers();

$db = XenForo_Application::getDb();
        XenForo_Db::beginTransaction($db);

foreach ($users AS $user)
        {          
            $db->insert('xf_forum_watch', array(
                'user_id' => $user['user_id'],
                'forum_id' => 7)
            );
        }

XenForo_Db::commit($db);
So that won't work for this add-on, but the premise is still the same.

great feature (y)

would it be possible to do the same for the users own "User Profile Page" ?
So that user will be able to receive a "Notification by Email" when there is a new post at their own "Profile Page".....

:coffee:

Nope. Watching forums and threads with email alerts functionality is default in XenForo. What you've suggested isn't. So that would be require custom development.

I don't understand what you're asking for :)
I think Shelley missed half a word from that sentence. I think that she is after a modification where you can limit who can download something on a per forum basis, based on the number of posts they have

Not sure. Because if it was download then the post suggests posts to be downloaded so I'm still confused.

@Shelley can you clarify your suggestion please? :)

What about a per usergroup option? Then I could force a watched forum based on services the client has using each service offered as it's own usergroup.

Top Bottom