Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration [Deleted]

Hi Chris,

Any chance of implementing my suggestion above to get users to auto watch media categories so they can get instant email notifications of new content please?

Not something I currently have time for unfortunately. But it has been noted. I will look at it in the future.

Hello Chris, is that possible with this addon to assing all already registered users ?

I just wanna make something similar to xenforo to auto assign every member to "Announcements" section.

Yep: https://xenforo.com/community/resou...forum-on-registration.2022/update?update=5028

There are implications on large boards, though, whereby if you have a lot of active users you may experience timeouts and hit other limits when posting new threads/posts in the forum being auto watched.

Though recent XF versions mitigate this slightly by limiting watch alerts to only active members.

Well, I have 500 registered users.. Definitelly not my case. Do you see any problem of setting a large day range in that case?

Thanks

Hi Chris,

There's an option in this add on I think to rebuild the caches to do the following:

Add all users to watched threads and forums

This is great as a one off when you install the add on, but when you create new nodes users won't be subscribed to it, so won't get any notifications. I'm wary of running the main cache rebuild again in case anyone has since unsubscribed for any forums they don't want to watch.

Would it be possible to add a cache rebuild option where you can specify specific node numbers to subscribe all users to any new nodes created?

Bought this just now and have a couple of questions:

After running the cache to make users watch some forums, does it force unwatch for members if you untick the forums then rerun the cache?

EDIT: Or if I want to change it from alerts only to email, will rerunning cache change this? I can't seem to find a way to test this without making test threads which will annoy everyone.

If a member is in a group that doesn't have permission for one of the forums, can you confirm that they won't get notifications?

Thanks

Last edited:
After running the cache my test users appears to be watching the forums I specified, but not getting notifications. The same test user is getting email notifications and alerts normally for forums they are watching by manually clicking on Watch, and for replies to threads and conversations. They just doesn't seem to get notifications for forums that have been force watched by the addon and cache rebuild.

These are very good questions.

I have to be honest - I probably last looked at the code for this about 3 years ago, I will have to re-familiarise myself with it ;)

My answers apply to forums and threads:
After running the cache to make users watch some forums, does it force unwatch for members if you untick the forums then rerun the cache?
No, it does not force unwatch under any circumstances.

Or if I want to change it from alerts only to email, will rerunning cache change this?
No. If a user is already watching a thread or forum and the rebuild is run, it is skipped entirely -- no existing settings are changed.

If a member is in a group that doesn't have permission for one of the forums, can you confirm that they won't get notifications?
This is handled by XF. Alerts are only sent to the user if they have permission to view the content generating the alert.

After running the cache my test users appears to be watching the forums I specified, but not getting notifications. The same test user is getting email notifications and alerts normally for forums they are watching by manually clicking on Watch, and for replies to threads and conversations. They just doesn't seem to get notifications for forums that have been force watched by the addon and cache rebuild.
At a glance of the code, I can't see why this would be the case unless they were already watching the forum/thread without notifications set.

At a glance of the code, I can't see why this would be the case unless they were already watching the forum/thread without notifications set.

OK so to retest, would it work to make the test user unwatch the forum, then rerun the cache which should presumably make it work correctly?

OK, have done a test with a new user, and it does seem that email notifications are not being sent for watched forums via the addon (though they do work normally when the user manually watched a forum)

If that is broken, that's been broken for a long time with no reports!

I will test this in more detail later.

Top Bottom