Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration [Deleted]

As this addon doesn't work on my forum. I ended up using this one and send the alerts to all users manually after I make a post in an announcement thread. It sends an alert to all users immediately with no performance issues or problems
Okay. Could you add a option to define for which user group it is enabled? Then I could enable it for the group active and filter the users to active and inactive. :)
Would be an important next step IMHO
Any update on this?

What happened to me is that now I can't post any threads at all in my announcement section. I have to post a thread in another section and move it. If in case it's not possible to optimize it, would uninstalling cause all members to unwatch the forum?
I set all my userbase to watch a forum for new threads, and receive alerts, and posting a new thread takes about 30 seconds now in that section.
This all should be resolved in XF 1.4 thanks to:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/miscellaneous-improvements.78446/

My organization is considering going from a "google groups/yahoo groups" message group to forum. We have over 1000 members of our organization. We usually get about 5-10 posts a day. Will this cause much server optimization issues?

Hi Chris,

What happens with this when using it with a fledgling forum and nodes are still being added over time?

Of course there's the automatic rebuilder, which is good really for a one time use when installing. But after that if people start to unsubscribe from particular nodes you don't really want to be running it again to re sub everyone to every node.

Is there an option to automatically sub everyone to a new node when it's created?

Or would the process be to set the watched nodes to just the new node for a moment, activate the rebuilder, then amend the watch nodes to include all the relevant ones again after running the rebuilder on just the new one?

Or would the process be to set the watched nodes to just the new node for a moment, activate the rebuilder, then amend the watch nodes to include all the relevant ones again after running the rebuilder on just the new one?
This, quite simply :)

I'm open to changing the behaviour in the future. Definitely not a bad idea. But right now, if you have a new forum you want to subscribe everyone to, set the automatic watched forums to be JUST the new node, then run the rebuilder, then put all the other nodes back in.

I'm open to changing the behaviour in the future. Definitely not a bad idea. But right now, if you have a new forum you want to subscribe everyone to, set the automatic watched forums to be JUST the new node, then run the rebuilder, then put all the other nodes back in.
Huh? Can you walk your more novice users thru this in a little more detail. I'm not sure I understand the process, not what problem I'm solving. Thank you.

Nice one, just following up on this. It might be worth having an 'Exclude these users' box on the rebuilder, so you can ensure the main super admin account, known duplicate accounts or any automated/bot accounts don't get subscribed in the rebuild.

Its still a laggy and sometimes throws an error with really active sites, any ideas?
ss-2014-07-16_11-54-51-png.77981

What do you have this setting as?

180 days might be too much.

I'm limited in what I can do to fix this. The problem is with how XenForo handles alerts. They are not chunked down into smaller batches of alerts so if 1,000 people need to be sent an alert, 1,000 alerts will be sent and effectively the user experience is delayed until that process is finished. This is a "bug" marked as a Future Fix.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/optimising-alerts-by-mass-sending-method.35881/

I say "bug" loosely because for the most part in normal operation, a board won't experience this. What this add-on does, is exasperate the bug and make it more prevalent.

A while ago Mike suggested that this add-on could remove people from being watchers if they have not been active; but that's effectively what this option does. If the creation of alerts is still a problem as a result of this, then the only advice I have right now is to reduce the number of days.

I'm not sure there's really much more I can do, but I will continue to give it some consideration.

I'm limited in what I can do to fix this. The problem is with how XenForo handles alerts. They are not chunked down into smaller batches of alerts so if 1,000 people need to be sent an alert, 1,000 alerts will be sent and effectively the user experience is delayed until that process is finished. This is a "bug" marked as a Future Fix.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/optimising-alerts-by-mass-sending-method.35881/

I say "bug" loosely because for the most part in normal operation, a board won't experience this. What this add-on does, is exasperate the bug and make it more prevalent.

A while ago Mike suggested that this add-on could remove people from being watchers if they have not been active; but that's effectively what this option does. If the creation of alerts is still a problem as a result of this, then the only advice I have right now is to reduce the number of days.

I'm not sure there's really much more I can do, but I will continue to give it some consideration.

I set it to 30 days and it still has to send too many thousands of alerts per thread made.

Going to try to set it to 3.

It still is a problem even setting it to 1 day.

Not sure what to try any more but thanks Chris.

I would suggest getting your host to analyze your server performance while it is happening.

Pretty sure you must have some other issues if it is failing like that with such a comparatively smaller number of users.

I originally set this up for multiple nodes, but now I want to restrict this to just a couple of nodes. I have about 1000 users; what would be the best way to make the change to unsubscribe all users from the nodes that I originally subscribed them to?

It would involve some database queries to remove the users from the nodes. The table involved is xf_forum_watch.

Code:
truncate xf_forum_watch;

That should do it, right? This is a very new setup, so I'm OK to unwatch everything, then let people start over.
After doing this, if I change the nodes watched, will this update everybody to the new nodes to be watched?

thanks

That query will remove all forum watch records, yes.

After setting it up how you like, you can go to Tools > Rebuild Caches and that should have an option to rebuild.

Hi Chris,

This may require suggestions/updates to the core eventually now that XMG is part of XF, but what I'd like is for the XMG categories to also be listed and selectable in the the user registration options so that new users can be automatically subscribed to these categories upon registration.

/admin.php?options/list/usersAndRegistration

This would allow users to receive email notifications upon the submission of new media content and then when tied into this add on, also receive push notification alerts of new media content.

I think it would also need a separate rebuild cache button to add existing users to the subscribed list, separate from watched threads and forums rebuilder.

View attachment 97412

Could you add this please?

I think you posted in the wrong thread.

Ahh shoot, sorry, I'm getting confused between what's core and what's an add on.

I'm using your 'Automatic Watch Thread and Watch Forum on Registration' add on in conjunction with this one to provide email and push alerts to users when new content is posted.

Currently that only works for threads, I'd like it to also work for new media content. Which would require and update to the Automatic Watch thread add on, wouldn't it?

I would like email (and pushover alerts) sent for new media submitted and for new users to be subscribed to the alerts by default upon registration (and enable this for all existing users)

Sorry, feel free to move these posts to the right thread.

Feel free to re-post in the correct thread ;)

So easy now with the multi-quote feature :D

Top Bottom