Autocomplete Location [Deleted]

If so and users want to build a link with lat/lon they can simply use the fields where my add-on saves the lat/lon data.
True

So what exactly would be the benefit for your add-on if mine would allow users to specify the lat/lon user fields?
My add-on is going to plot users on a map so it's actually a consumer of the lat/lon for a user. I _have_ to make it dynamic and allow the admin to set a pickup_from_this_field. This allows them to use any means of obtaining the lat/lon from a user so the task is more mine than yours really. :)

Oh god the pressure :)

That'll be cool - thanks. I've only just writen my first add-on so it'll take me a few days to work it out.

No problem, take your time. I remember well when I started with XF coding how hard it was to achieve even the simplest things. So definitely no pressure from me :)

Hello.
Is there a combat betwen this addon and the other similar addon? Same features added at nearly same time... funny. ;)

Regards

I'm a little confused on the https conditions. What exactly needs to be done if I run a forum under https to be able to use this addon?

I like that is allows shortening of the state/country.

Is the Geonames data editable by the user, or is that just allowed on the ACP?

What exactly needs to be done if I run a forum under https to be able to use this addon?
That depends on what type of Geonames account you are going to use. For free accounts such as the add-on's default account you will need to set the „Geonames caller“ to „Server“. For premium accounts you can set it to „Client“ which will result in a better performance.

Is the Geonames data editable by the user, or is that just allowed on the ACP?
The atomic location data fields (city, state...) are only editable by admins.

For free accounts such as the add-on's default account you will need to set the „Geonames caller“ to „Server“.
Ok, for the free accounts, this is the one that can take a bit longer to resolve? I thought https useage mandated that you go premium. PMd you on your forum

Ok, for the free accounts, this is the one that can take a bit longer to resolve?
Well, there can be actually two independent reasons for a slower response. One is the usage of free servers that have on average a longer response duration and the other reason is if your server calls Geonames instead of the user's browser.

So a call to the user's browser is faster? I don't know much about how location is gathered, sorry for the dumb questions.

Well, I wouldn't consider this as a dumb question :) The principle it's actually pretty simple:

In „client mode“ the browser sends the search request directly to Geonames (via AJAX). In „server mode“ the browser sends the request to your server which in turn „forwards“ the request to the Geonames server. So in „server mode“ the Geonames requests have to make a detour through your server which will result in slower update of the autocomlete list. How much slower depends on the location of the particular user and the server. The closer they are located to each other the better. Let me know if anything is still unclear..

Ok, so if the vast majority of our users are in the same state in the US, then it probably doesn't make a lot of difference. In that case which would be the faster and/or more reliable choice?

Ok, so if the vast majority of our users are in the same state in the US, then it probably doesn't make a lot of difference.
Yeah, but note that „the closer to the server the better“ is actually a rule of thumb that doesn't consider e.g. the actual inet routes that the requests take. Also your (average) server load will of course have an impact..

In that case which would be the faster and/or more reliable choice?
The „client mode“ is always the best solution. In terms of reliabilty there is no difference between client and server mode. The „server mode“ actually only exists to solve the „HTTPS problem“ for users that use the free Geonames servers..

ah...ok so:

If I use HTTP I can use either free or premium, and server or client mode

If I use HTTPS and the free geoname servers, I have to use server mode.

If I use the premium, I can choose whether I want to use client OR server mode

Did I get that right?

Top Bottom