AudioDB Music Thread Starter for XenForo 1.x [Deleted]

Snog

Snog submitted a new resource:

AudioDB Music Thread Starter - Start music threads the easy way!

Do you run a music review or discussion site? Always copying and pasting information from TheAudioDB to your new threads? Or, maybe you just want a place on your site to discuss music with friends.

Then this add-on is for you!

The AudioDB Music Thread Starter allows you to enter the album ID or the entire link to the album at TheAudioDB into your new thread, add whatever comments you like and post the new thread. The Music Thread Starter will import all of the information for your album...

Read more about this resource...

Nice!

A couple questions please, catered to an idea I was wanting for my music forum:

1) Any plans to have an addon that pulls from elsewhere, like Discogs?

2) Are there any plans to take this further, like having a "now playing" button someone can click, it opens an input field, they start typing an album name, and it uses Ajax to pull up results they can select from?
I have a bunch of "now playing" threads and people pull images from all across the web so it can get chaotic, especially when sites block or go away.

I may have a couple more.. thanks! I also saw the Movie and TV show ones, and the same question applies for those (I have a movie and TV forum I'm working on as well).

Thanks @Snog !

I actually looked at many of the sources for the albums and Discogs was one of the first. I had almost given up on the add-on because the api for most of them were either too clunky, returned far too many results, or contain bad information for albums. I finally found TheAudioDB and it is used by quite a few of the major scrapers out there. I know of one scraper that hits TheAudioDB at least 4 million times a night. So, at this point I don't think I'll be doing a version for other databases.

I don't plan on adding anything like you describe in #2, but I will put it on the wish list for the add-on.

Gotcha. My downfall with AudioDB is looks like they don't have as much of the "off the beaten path" Metal results that I would need. I still may get your add on and play around with it though, thanks!

The system you are using to access this site has been denied registration for one of the following reasons:

1) Do not use a proxy or vpn to access this site.
2) Your provider may not be providing a valid hostname for your IP address. (just the IP address IS NOT a valid hostname!) Contact your provider to have this corrected.

The rest of that message on my site says..
If you think you should not be seeing this message, please use the contact us link and send me a message with your IP address.

Please follow those instructions.

well, yes, i get that - but why the block in the first place?
Proxies are blocked because you are literally coming into my business. I have every right to know who you are and where you are.

Invalid host names are blocked because most of them are among the biggest spam generators on the planet. Because they are blocked, I can count on one hand the amount of spam posts I get in a year.

Proxies - fair enough. Blocking on missing hostnames though? Seems a bit broad to me. I'm with Virgin Media / Liberty Global / UPC, who are one of the largest ISPs around this neck of the woods. I don't think they're going to be too interested in changing their IP / hostname info policy.

Anyway I'll PM you an IP now.

The may want to concider changing. RFC-1123 addresses this exact issue...

...a valid host name can never have the dotted-decimal form #.#.#.#, since at least the highest-level component label will be alphabetic. This means the top level domain name must be alphabetic, thus the fully qualified hostname can never be confused with an IPv4 address

The may want to concider changing. RFC-1123 addresses this exact issue...
That RFC defines the syntax that a hostname should adhere to when a hostname is being specified, but I don't believe the use of hostnames are mandated by it. (e.g. "Whenever a user inputs the identity of an Internet host, it SHOULD be possible to enter either (1) a host domain name or (2) an IP address in dotted-decimal ("#.#.#.#") form.)

ANYWAY

Add on is installed and working perfectly. One question - is there any way to force the artist name to appear in the thread title? Right now i'm just getting album title & year.

Add on is installed and working perfectly. One question - is there any way to force the artist name to appear in the thread title? Right now i'm just getting album title & year.
Not in the title. But the artist can be included in the information under the title. And you can sort by or search for an artist in the thread search options.

yeah, it's really just for completeness sake - would be handy but i can live without it i suppose

Snog updated AudioDB Music Thread Starter with a new update entry:

AudioDB Music Thread Starter Update 1.0.2

An update to the AudioDB Music Thread Starter has been released. Those that have purchased this add-on, please log into your account on my site to download this update.

This release changes the following:
  • Fix - Album covers from fanart.tv causing errors and broken images.
NOTE: Fanart.tv does not allow most servers to connect to their site to download images. Any album cover coming from fanart.tv will now get the "no cover available" image.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Top Bottom