1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AudioDB Music Thread Starter [Paid] 1.0.1

Start music threads the easy way!

1. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

Snog submitted a new resource:

AudioDB Music Thread Starter - Start music threads the easy way!

Read more about this resource...

CreationNation, Lemminator and mcatze like this.
  2. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

Lemminator, Sheldon and mcatze like this.
  3. Sheldon

Sheldon Well-Known Member

Looks great Snog.

I'll find a use for this!

Snog likes this.
  4. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

5. CreationNation

CreationNation Active Member

Nice!

A couple questions please, catered to an idea I was wanting for my music forum:

1) Any plans to have an addon that pulls from elsewhere, like Discogs?

2) Are there any plans to take this further, like having a "now playing" button someone can click, it opens an input field, they start typing an album name, and it uses Ajax to pull up results they can select from?
    I have a bunch of "now playing" threads and people pull images from all across the web so it can get chaotic, especially when sites block or go away.

I may have a couple more.. thanks! I also saw the Movie and TV show ones, and the same question applies for those (I have a movie and TV forum I'm working on as well).

Thanks @Snog !

6. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

I actually looked at many of the sources for the albums and Discogs was one of the first. I had almost given up on the add-on because the api for most of them were either too clunky, returned far too many results, or contain bad information for albums. I finally found TheAudioDB and it is used by quite a few of the major scrapers out there. I know of one scraper that hits TheAudioDB at least 4 million times a night. So, at this point I don't think I'll be doing a version for other databases.

I don't plan on adding anything like you describe in #2, but I will put it on the wish list for the add-on.

CreationNation likes this.
  7. CreationNation

CreationNation Active Member

Gotcha. My downfall with AudioDB is looks like they don't have as much of the "off the beaten path" Metal results that I would need. I still may get your add on and play around with it though, thanks!

8. thumped

thumped Well-Known Member

9. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

The rest of that message on my site says..
    Please follow those instructions.

10. thumped

what exactly is this supposed to achieve?

11. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

It will allow me to find out why you are being blocked and possibly remove the block.

12. thumped

well, yes, i get that - but why the block in the first place?

13. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

Proxies are blocked because you are literally coming into my business. I have every right to know who you are and where you are.

Invalid host names are blocked because most of them are among the biggest spam generators on the planet. Because they are blocked, I can count on one hand the amount of spam posts I get in a year.

14. thumped

Proxies - fair enough. Blocking on missing hostnames though? Seems a bit broad to me. I'm with Virgin Media / Liberty Global / UPC, who are one of the largest ISPs around this neck of the woods. I don't think they're going to be too interested in changing their IP / hostname info policy.

Anyway I'll PM you an IP now.

15. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

The may want to concider changing. RFC-1123 addresses this exact issue...

16. thumped

That RFC defines the syntax that a hostname should adhere to when a hostname is being specified, but I don't believe the use of hostnames are mandated by it. (e.g. "Whenever a user inputs the identity of an Internet host, it SHOULD be possible to enter either (1) a host domain name or (2) an IP address in dotted-decimal ("#.#.#.#") form.)

ANYWAY

Add on is installed and working perfectly. One question - is there any way to force the artist name to appear in the thread title? Right now i'm just getting album title & year.

17. Snog

Snog Well-Known Member

Not in the title. But the artist can be included in the information under the title. And you can sort by or search for an artist in the thread search options.

18. thumped

yeah, it's really just for completeness sake - would be handy but i can live without it i suppose