Do I understand this decision correctly?

In my instance I am a subscriber of the yearly plan. I use some of the addons and themes. All that will be free now. In my case I never ask for support. I just live with the bugs/ignore it/just fix it myself. I do update as new versions are released. Now, basically I can cancel that subscription right since all those products will be free and I don't use the support?

If that is right, I'm perplexed by the business model. Yes I know that's none of my business. I hope you guys do stay active in the xf community and are active in development of new stuff.

Not every addon will be free. Some will only be accessible by the subscription (with support) or if you've previously purchased a standalone license (without support). There's a list earlier in the thread for which will be subscription-only.

1. We are reducing offering 30 addons and themes to offering 1 package, so we're still here but in a MUCH smaller capacity for a much smaller group who rely on us.

Excellent... I'm interested in hearing about this smaller group of clients that could benefit from your direct work and support. I have contacted you on your site.

The old mentality of the captain will go down with the ship is just that... old.

In my opinion one thing has really killed forums. It's that fact that many many forums have the old school mentality that a new member should search the forums because this answer has already been posted 1,000 times.

Instead of getting instant answers like we all used to on forums... a new user gets an instant abrasive conversation... and many times this comes from the admins / mods... nice welcome to the site.

I'm only getting 10% or less of the posts that I used to get... but I'm still getting 45% of the traffic that I used to get. There's still a lot there to work with. It's too bad I didn't realize this sooner... I'be been guilty of destroying my own site for years.

After all... when was the last time you saw someone respond to a Facebook post with search Facebook as someone already posted this?

Anyways... change is good... and good luck to @Mike Creuzer and company!

cybermonday-first.png

Hey everyone! Cyber Monday is on it's way 🤩 Here's what deals you can expect from us:

Our $1000 Resources annual subscription will be on sale for $650 the first year! That's $350 off this awesome package. How does it work? Just contact us on Monday, November 29th, 2021 and sign the license agreement. If you pay your first invoice by December 14th, 2021, you've secured your deal.

If you’re one of the first five to contact us starting at 12:00am CDT on Monday, November 29th, 2021, you’ll lock in this discounted rate annually (license agreement and invoice must be paid by December 14th, 2021). Contact us at https://community.audent.io/contact

See you then!

Last edited:
View attachment 260667

Hey everyone! Cyber Monday is on it's way 🤩 Here's what deals you can expect from us:

Our $1000 Resources annual subscription will be on sale for $650 the first year! That's $350 off this awesome package. How does it work? Just contact us on Monday, November 29th, 2021 and sign the license agreement. If you pay your first invoice by December 14th, 2021, you've secured your deal.

If you’re one of the first five to contact us starting at 12:00am CDT on Monday, November 29th, 2021, you’ll lock in this discounted rate annually (license agreement and invoice must be paid by December 14th, 2021). Contact us at https://community.audent.io/contact

See you then!
Even at $650 for the first year I struggle to get my head around whether it's worth it. I do like the look and features of AC.UI and Feeds and appreciate the dev time behind this but probably not enough to pay $1000 a year. Also AC.UI and Feeds are still in beta and you currently offer a free 12 month license for both unless this offer has now expired? I expect many existing license holders still have active licenses for many of your add-ons as well, and probably wouldn't want to install every add-on you offer anyway. So even at $650 I'm scratching my head to justify paying this right now, especially when it's only for one site and I run multiple sites that I'd probably want to use it on. It's a pity really as I do love your themes, add-ons and have always received first class support from you guys.

Even at $650 for the first year I struggle to get my head around whether it's worth it. I do like the look and features of AC.UI and Feeds and appreciate the dev time behind this but probably not enough to pay $1000 a year. Also AC.UI and Feeds are still in beta and you currently offer a free 12 month license for both unless this offer has now expired? I expect many existing license holders still have active licenses for many of your add-ons as well, and probably wouldn't want to install every add-on you offer anyway. So even at $650 I'm scratching my head to justify paying this right now, especially when it's only for one site and I run multiple sites that I'd probably want to use it on. It's a pity really as I do love your themes, add-ons and have always received first class support from you guys.

Hello Timmie 👋

Our resource plan includes a number of add-ons in addition to Feeds and AC.UI. The value in the package comes from the complexity of the add-ons and the problems that they solve and that they require individual setup. We'll personally guide, support, and advise you on how to make your community a success. So the plan does include a suite of products but also a more guided hand by our team to get you onboarded with the products.

Hello Timmie 👋

Our resource plan includes a number of add-ons in addition to Feeds and AC.UI. The value in the package comes from the complexity of the add-ons and the problems that they solve and that they require individual setup. We'll personally guide, support, and advise you on how to make your community a success. So the plan does include a suite of products but also a more guided hand by our team to get you onboarded with the products.
In my case I rarely need support (every ticket I have had 4 years ago was to report major bugs for the old Credit/Shop add-ons), and I only have an interest in 2-3 add-ons.

If it were possible to pay for specific add-ons, and then pay separately for support hours, that makes more sense for me. I don't need onboarding help, I don't need help with customization, and I don't really need advice because the community it is for isn't a community driven on getting the most traffic or larger user base numbers.

The new business model you're going for makes perfect sense if you're targeting businesses, and new forum admins; not so much for someone who does not need the styles, and does not need most of your add-ons.

For me the issue isn't money or the renewal, it's more the justification that there isn't any real value other than a handful of things I could use if I really forced it somehow.

In my case I rarely need support (every ticket I have had 4 years ago was to report major bugs for the old Credit/Shop add-ons), and I only have an interest in 2-3 add-ons.

If it were possible to pay for specific add-ons, and then pay separately for support hours, that makes more sense for me. I don't need onboarding help, I don't need help with customization, and I don't really need advice because the community it is for isn't a community driven on getting the most traffic or larger user base numbers.

The new business model you're going for makes perfect sense if you're targeting businesses, and new forum admins; not so much for someone who does not need the styles, and does not need most of your add-ons.

For me the issue isn't money or the renewal, it's more the justification that there isn't any real value other than a handful of things I could use if I really forced it somehow.
We typically are targeting larger forums rather than smaller new forums. Some of these addons are much larger and more complex than our regular addons we used to have here, require more configuration than other addons, and likely would result in more support requests due to the depth of functionality with some of them. We discussed charging for support but didn't want to go down that route.

We typically are targeting larger forums rather than smaller new forums. Some of these addons are much larger and more complex than our regular addons we used to have here, require more configuration than other addons, and likely would result in more support requests due to the depth of functionality with some of them. We discussed charging for support but didn't want to go down that route.
Given the backlash Invision received with that move, it's perfectly understandable. But when I really only have an interest in:
  • Streaming
  • Complete Account (to see how it compares to Onboarding by Nixfifty)
  • Achievements (to see how it compares to Badges)
  • Leaderboards (potentially)
And even with that, I do not know if I would use them over the alternatives. Streaming is the only one I'm guaranteed to have a real use for because the alternative is Jaxel's add-on and that just feels like being in an abusive relationship.

Streaming will be free for early adopters soon (will announce). Its currently included with our Community App. And we are thinking that if you meet certain criteria we will allow a slimmed down Resources plan. Forum admins who like to control addons themselves arent a good fit for the plan, since all these addons need configuration to work well together.

In general we sell three main things:

1. App
2. Resources plan
3. Streaming (currently free during beta or included with app)

Doing the pricing this way has allowed us to focus on larger value adds. Though I understand its limiting for some. Its allowed us to offer better support to a more limited group of individuals. We were spreading ourselves far too thin and imo not offering the quality I wanted (even remotely) when we had thousands upon thousands of tickets for unique community needs and configurations.

All our tools pair together which has allowed us to offer much better consistency. Its one of the pitfalls of distributed forum software is that often the environments can vary so much its really difficult to do complex things. Doing things this way has been hugely beneficial to everyone imo. Thanks for considering us all the same everyone.

Last edited:

Yep. Exactly same situation as me. I ended up cancelling my yearly subscription. As someone who was a paid customer, it was not worth it to me.

View attachment 260667

See you then!
Email sent 😁😁😁 Can’t wait to work closer with your company. 👍

Top Bottom