Astrophotography

TPerry

Nice forum and good subject. My forum has a subforum for Astro photographers too ;)

Good luck
Thanks. It's a field I've been interested in since Jr. High but haven't had the time nor spare money until the last few years to get into it.
I'm just getting into the field... still finding out what "extra" stuff I need to get besides the base. Grabbed this single image tonight, but am off on back focus.

Moon_00013-b.jpg

Using what camera ?
ASI485MC through a NexStar 8se (need to get a reducer/flattener for it). Got some spacers coming in for the camera... they never ship enough until you get into the Pro model cameras. The only processing done to that image was it being scaled to a smaller size from original.

Get a decent camera with an adapter for a better results, maybe a full frame.
The ASI585MC (don't know why I put in 485) is not a "low end" camera... in fact, it's one of the more expensive non-cooled (Pro) planetary cameras from ZWO and is is, in many ways, better than the older stuff that is out. I've got the ASI533MM with filter wheel that is reported to do better than the ever popular 1600MM, without many of that camera's warts. The nice thing about both the 485MC and the 533MM Pro is that neither suffer from amp glow. Now, when I get better, I do plan on getting an ASI6200MM.... but the cameras I have are perfectly adequate for almost all astrophotographers. The problem is not camera... it is back focus - which is not a camera specific issue (all have to be within their optimum range). If your camera isn't in that 55mm +/- 5mm comfort zone, then you can't get a good focus. And that image is a single non-stacked PNG capture. Full frame is nice when you are doing diffuse nebula. Not going to spend almost $7K (ASI6200MM Pro w/wheel) on a camera, when I'd be better served by a REALLY nice EQ mount. ;)

ASI585MC​
ASI533MM Pro​
ASI1600 Pro​
ASI6200MM Pro​
Sensor: 1/1.2″ CMOS Sony-IMX585AAQJ1-C
Bayer Pattern:R Gr Gb B
QE peak:91%
Max fps: 46.9fps
Full well: 40Ke
Shutter: Rolling shutter
Resolution: 8.29Mega Pixel,3840*2160
Pixel Size: 2.9µm
Exposure Range: 32μs~2000s
Protect window: φ32-2 AR
ADC: 12bit
DDRIII Buffer: 256MB

Sensor: Sony-IMX533CLK-D
Diagonal: 15.968mm
Resolution: 9 Mega Pixel 3008*3008
Pixel Size: 3.76μm
Max FPS at full resolution: 20fps
Exposure Range: 32μs-2000s
ROI: Supported
Read Noise: 1.0-3.8e
QE peak: 91%
Full well: 50000e
ADC:14bit

Sensor: 4/3″ CMOS
Diagonal: 22.2mm
Resolution: 16Mega Pixels 4656×3520
Pixel Size: 3.8µm
Max FPS at full resolution :23FPS
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Read Noise: 1.2-3.6e
QE peak: 60%
Full well: 20ke
ADC:12bit

Sensor: SONY IMX455 CMOS
Diagonal: 43.3mm
Resolution: 62 Mega Pixel 9576*6388
Bayer Pattern: None
Shutter:Rolling shutter
Read Noise: 1.5-3.5e
QE peak: about 91%
ADC:16bit

The ASI585MC (don't know why I put in 485) is not a "low end" camera... in fact, it's one of the more expensive non-cooled (Pro) planetary cameras from ZWO and is is, in many ways, better than the older stuff that is out. I've got the ASI533MM with filter wheel that is reported to do better than the ever popular 1600MM, without many of that camera's warts. The nice thing about both the 485MC and the 533MM Pro is that neither suffer from amp glow. Now, when I get better, I do plan on getting an ASI6200MM.... but the cameras I have are perfectly adequate for almost all astrophotographers. The problem is not camera... it is back focus - which is not a camera specific issue (all have to be within their optimum range). If your camera isn't in that 55mm +/- 5mm comfort zone, then you can't get a good focus. And that image is a single non-stacked PNG capture. Full frame is nice when you are doing diffuse nebula. Not going to spend almost $7K (ASI6200MM Pro w/wheel) on a camera, when I'd be better served by a REALLY nice EQ mount. ;)

ASI585MC​
ASI533MM Pro​
ASI1600 Pro​
ASI6200MM Pro​
Sensor: 1/1.2″ CMOS Sony-IMX585AAQJ1-C
Bayer Pattern:R Gr Gb B
QE peak:91%
Max fps: 46.9fps
Full well: 40Ke
Resolution: 8.29Mega Pixel,3840*2160
Pixel Size: 2.9µm
Exposure Range: 32μs~2000s
Protect window: φ32-2 AR
ADC: 12bit
Sensor: Sony-IMX533CLK-D
Diagonal: 15.968mm
Resolution: 9 Mega Pixel 3008*3008
Max FPS at full resolution: 20fps
Read Noise: 1.0-3.8e
QE peak: 91%
ADC:14bit
Sensor: 4/3″ CMOS
Diagonal: 22.2mm
Resolution: 16Mega Pixels 4656×3520
Pixel Size: 3.8µm
Max FPS at full resolution :23FPS
Exposure Range: 32µs-2000s
Read Noise: 1.2-3.6e
QE peak: 60%
Full well: 20ke
ADC:12bit

Sensor: SONY IMX455 CMOS
Diagonal: 43.3mm
Resolution: 62 Mega Pixel 9576*6388
Bayer Pattern: None
Shutter:Rolling shutter
Read Noise: 1.5-3.5e
QE peak: about 91%
ADC:16bit
You know better about Astro photography. But personally I will attach a camera to the telescope and use live view via computer for better focus and details.

Thanks. It's a field I've been interested in since Jr. High but haven't had the time nor spare money until the last few years to get into it.
I'm just getting into the field... still finding out what "extra" stuff I need to get besides the base. Grabbed this single image tonight, but am off on back focus.

View attachment 271958
Wonderful photo and a great idea for a forum. Good luck, Tracy! :)

Nice.

I have been taking shots for 35 years and also dabble with a telescope.
I haven't yet got around to combining the two.

I assume you've already seen this @Tracy Perry.
Nope, not a moon shot in color detail... but they are right about the thousands of shots and the stacking a good image can take. I've got my RPi set up to shoot 50 with Luminance filter, 50 with red, 50 with green, 50 with blue, 50 with OIII, 50 with H-a, and 50 with S-II in one session with an average 2 minutes each. I'm still playing with the exposure times, and haven't really gotten a chance to capture anything because almost every night since I've gotten the cameras have looked like this around my area.
IMG_1007.jpg

I've only really had the site going for around 2 weeks, and have had 3 new users join in the last 2 days that saw my avatar and home page info in my profile from over on another astronomy related forum I participate in.

I've played with cameras since I was 20 (I'm 58 now)... but never really got into the astro aspect of it. I've got Nikon D7200 that never wanted to play nicely with my scopes and I cursed every time that I hadn't gotten a Canon instead - their API to software interfaces that allow timed exposure is better than Nikons.

<edited>
for more realistic amounts since 1-2 seconds were not enoouh... reduced the number, increased the exposure time.

Last edited:
I've always been Canon.
Only reason I went with the D7200 was the better 1/2 already had a ton of lenses for an old D40 that she used to use, but it started having issues.
If I was looking for DSLR now, I'd be leaning towards the D850 if I was staying in the Nikon family or if Canon, the EOS R.

But since we already have the D7200 and it does great for terrestrial uses, I have an ASI533MM Pro with 8 position filter wheel and an ASI585MC for telescope use.
The neat thing... the RPi I use to control them will also control my Nikon better than the software I purchased to do that with... so while shooting deep sky I can also be grabbing some wider field images with the Nikon mounted on a simple tripod.
I also have the ability to connect those cameras up to the Nikon lenses... but you have to use manual focus on them.

Last edited:
Magic !
Can you post here a photo of the material you used for this kind of photo ?
What I'm currently using to capture (the guide camera is not in place on this image)
William Optics ZenithStar 103mm primary
William Optics 50mm guide scope (ASI 290mm camera used as guide camera)
Raspberry Pi running Stellarmate OS for mount, camera, focuser control).
ASI533MM Pro camera with 8 position filter filled with LRGB and SII, OIII and Ha filter.
EQ35-Pro mount

1663848869220.png

That exposure was from data set of 8@240 seconds of Luminance then 6@240 seconds of RGB and the Ha, SII and OIII filters then stacked with no further processing.
I'm still a RANK beginner and have yet to figure out how to get the high dollar software I purchased to "show" color yet.

Found a fun target.... except for having to be up at 4am to capture it locally. M81 & M82 (Bodes Galaxy and the Cigar Galaxy). I get about 1.5 hours to capture it before the sun starts ruining the sky.

1666165573951.png

Have several members that put my stuff to shame though.... I'm to busy capturing data and working on tweaking the site to learn the software to process it into color.

Have done some tweaking to XFMG to use fields for certain aspects of the capture that most want to know, and have it displayed below the description.

1666165990587.webp

I've added Bob's Link Directory to the site now also... didn't realize how handy it could be for a site like this.

Last edited:
For work I accompanied people around Europe. (tour buses)

When some school or organised group went to astronomical observatories or some scientific site (e.g. the C.E.R.N in Geneva), and I had to accompany them, I was as happy as a child.

Maybe it was the 30th time I had gone to these places, but each time it was as if it was the first, I would line up with the group, so that I could see through the telescope, listen to the lectures and take the guided tours of the facilities.

Science in general, and space in particular, have always fascinated me. In the country where I was born, unfortunately, I did not have these opportunities, but I had the great fortune to go there for work.

I remember my colleagues who always slept on the bus and were not in the least interested in visiting these places.

So nice site and I wish you all the best with your community

The bad thing about astronomy/astrophotography.. it's a VERY limited field to get involved in.
Even intro level you are looking at at least $1000 USD... but honestly, if you are interested in the cosmos that surrounds us (and is part of us) it's not much investment.

When you think that the light from this image has been traveling for 11.74 MILLION year, it really makes you realize the insignificance of humanity.

M_81-a.jpg

We are not even a partial hair in the "butt crack"of reality.

Last edited:
Playing with a new style for the site from @Russ at PixInSight. Trying out Bolt, and so far, I'm liking what I'm seeing.
I've also added @Bob's Reviews add-on to the site, since getting good input from others about equipment/vendors is an integral part of astronomy/astrophotography. It's SO easy to waste money on something that won't cut the mustard.

And... a recent series of captures & processing (about 30 120s of LRGB) of M81/M82 that I recently did.
full

Last edited:
Amazing how a loose image train can affect your imaging. Added a Pegasus Astro Rotator recently, and during the positioning of it on the train, didn't realize I had loosed the reducer/flattener attachment to the telescope. Was wondering why I was getting star trails at 5 minute exposures..... and finally figured out why. I REALLY will be glad when I get used to the processing software. What works on one target has to be tweaked sometimes for another target.
This is a baseline of a new capture of the Horsehead Nebula with some basic processing. The color emphasis for the HA and SII bands hasn't been done yet on it. Once I got the optical train tightened down, I found a LOT more clarity in the finer structures. It's amazing to me what a little 4 inch tube with some ground glass in it can do when looking at something 1500 light years away. I can easily see how this hobby could be like fishing (which was one of the most costly hobbies I've had)... I need this boat (scope/mount) for these condition and that boat (another scope/mount) for those conditions, and then I need special rods & reels (filters and cameras).

full

Once I got my image train fixed... and a little better with processing, this is the same target as above. Granted, my processing STILL lacks much.. but that's the reason of the site... for each to help another. There is a process to separate the background stars from the image (to eliminate the red influence) but I haven't even delved into that area yet. Capturing the data is SO much easier than processing it.

Barnard_33 (12-13-2022) A.jpg

Slowly getting a little better at the processing. This image was captured over about 6 hours, both nights a high full moon, so it was a little harder to get the background "whiteout" eliminated.
I still wish that XFMG could be set to "import" cusstom fields that may be attached to a post with an image on it when you mirror.... most of the users actually post in the astrophotography thread as a new post, and I have XFMG mirror those attachments into a special album, but the capture data that is put in doesn't transfer with the image mirroring.

cropped image of M101 - Pinwheel galaxy.

1683654779711.png

And this is a slightly better processed image of the Horsehead nebula compared to my earlier one.

1683654734277.png

Top Bottom