Apple TV anyone?

John

Yes, I admit it...I'm a huge fan of anything Apple. There are lot's of reasons, I know, to hate them...but for me there are just too many more to love them ;) Anyone planning on buying the new Apple TV this week? I personally could find a big use for a product like this.

How many times is Apple going to attempt to do this?
Eventually I'm going to install slingbox.

Apple needs to grasp reality, they are good at some things, but not all things.
The need to let it go.

I had one, sold it again (old model). I wasn't happy with the jailbreaks (not all of the plugins working properly) also it couldn't play MKV files and it's just very limited in what you can do. (We can't even hire movies here yet.)

Anyone thinking about building their own media centre: just get a Mac Mini, plugin a Drobo and get a Logitech remote control or mouse. Personally I just connect my laptop & Drobo through HDMI and use my mouse to control. There is of course XBMC & Plesk but they're not perfect. VLC player for me is enough.

Simply don't see the need for it. I already get all i want from my satelite dish. Why even bother with it. And i do love apple, but not willing to give them my money just because they got something new out.

So my answer would be NO. I won't be getting it.

No Because I have my own Media Centre... I backup all of my DVD's onto the Media Centre the second I buy them then I store the DVD's away safe... When I decided I wan't to watch any films I can do so straight away...

It also then has full internet access so I can also watch my LiveFilm:player and iPlayer and ITV Player collections on there... Though would be amazing if Hulu comes out in the UK too.

No Because I have my own Media Centre... I backup all of my DVD's onto the Media Centre the second I buy them then I store the DVD's away safe... When I decided I wan't to watch any films I can do so straight away...

It also then has full internet access so I can also watch my LiveFilm:player and iPlayer and ITV Player collections on there... Though would be amazing if Hulu comes out in the UK too.

What software do you use to backup all your DVD's?

Yes, I admit it...I'm a huge fan of anything Apple. There are lot's of reasons, I know, to hate them...but for me there are just too many more to love them ;) Anyone planning on buying the new Apple TV this week? I personally could find a big use for a product like this.
Nope, I'm going to stick with my first generation Apple TV until it gives up the ghost (or I buy new a TV since my current one doesn't have HDMI inputs).

Lee, try slysoft anydvd.

I have the older model. Works well but its difficult to get itunes running on a windows home server. Not worth the trouble if you use one.

Already pre-ordered and awaiting delivery. Got a complete and true n-wireless setup now for it, and already I see near LAN speeds on n-wireless devices used for testing performance. I envisage zero issues with live streaming to the new Apple TV.

What software do you use to backup all your DVD's?
After lots of trial and error for Mac... winxdvd seems to come out trumps with all the latest encryption for backing up DVD's / converting over to digital format. Still converting our library over... but started buying all new ones over itunes in digital version. Its built on handbrake.... but just does it all in one quick sweep... about 30 - 45 minutes total rip and convert.

I had one, sold it again (old model). I wasn't happy with the jailbreaks (not all of the plugins working properly) also it couldn't play MKV files and it's just very limited in what you can do. (We can't even hire movies here yet.)

Anyone thinking about building their own media centre: just get a Mac Mini, plugin a Drobo and get a Logitech remote control or mouse. Personally I just connect my laptop & Drobo through HDMI and use my mouse to control. There is of course XBMC & Plesk but they're not perfect. VLC player for me is enough.

I have a similar setup, but opted for the HP MediaCenter 495. It allows for TimeMachine backups, streaming iTunes and more.

Coupled with Plex, it's a killer setup. It grabs all my movie artwork, etc from IMDB. Love it.

AppleTV (previous and current) doesn't have enough processing/graphics power to push MKV files. Not that it should, even the Dell Zino's have that problem. Like most Apple products, the mini is a very capable computer, making it perfect for HTPC.

Top Bottom