1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone using mod_pagespeed with XenForo?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Amin Sabet, Oct 26, 2015.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Well-Known Member

I just started using it. Can't tell yet if it's helping my sites' performance. The main thing I wanted to use it for is lazy loading images, and that part doesn't seem to be working :(.

Anyone else using mod_pagespeed?

2. Amin Sabet

@RoldanLT - You had lazyload working with Pagespeed, right? Was there something special you had to do to make it work?

3. Solidus

Solidus Well-Known Member

I am using it. Seems to take a fraction (.1 or .15 seconds) off of load time.

4. Solidus

Maybe more sometimes... Pingdom tells me 1.7 second load from NY -> Paris. Never got that below 2 seconds before.

5. Amin Sabet

Have you got lazyload working? When I do debugging, it always says "The following filters were disabled for this request: Lazyload Images". Don't know why.

6. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

I would like to make some test with this. Couple questions Amin:
    There are some significant improvement in the performance/speed with the module?
    What server are you running?

7. Amin Sabet

Hi @rafass - I'm now using Apache 2.4 server. I think the module is helping but not certain yet. One thing for sure is that it is fun to play with :).

rafass likes this.
  8. rafass

rafass Well-Known Member

installing....:coffee:

Amin Sabet likes this.
  9. Solidus

I use Xon's plugin for lazyload. Try adding ModPagespeedEnableFilters lazyload_images to your vHost config.

10. Amin Sabet

Thanks, I have that added, but I don't see any lazyloading occurring. I was just made aware that lazyload may not happen until a page is reloaded a few times:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/mod-pagespeed-discuss/xczmI0NPcXs

I tried using @Xon 's addon but noticed that sometimes the wheel just spins and the image doesn't load. @rafass mentioned this also.

11. Solidus

I tried lazyload just now with mod_pagespeed, seemed to work just fine.

12. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

I have it working with nginx. As you mentioned though, it does appear lazy loading only happens after the page has been loaded a previous time (guess it then caches where the images are in the page to know their location for loading purposes?)

easiii likes this.
  13. RoldanLT

RoldanLT Well-Known Member

I'm just using @Xon addon Lazy Load.

14. Amin Sabet

Yes, it has to learn which images are critical to view immediately and designates the others for lazyloading. I wonder what it is about my sites that keeps it from working.

If you want to see exactly what is happening on a given page, add "?PageSpeedFilters=+debug" to the end of the url and then look at the page source. Lots of useful markup there to tell you what pagespeed is doing.

MattW likes this.