Anyone experience with converting DB from latin to UTF8?

KatieH

Hi, I've always had this issue for years and never was able to address it :/ Basically I want to convert my forum DB (which uses iso-8859-1) to UTF8

Has anyone ever tried it before? The reason I want to do this is that all the meta keywords and meta descriptions appear gibberish if our members uses Japanese words which is very bad.

Vbtulletin 3.7.x

Won't you need to convert the DB to UTF8 if you are also migrating to Xenforo from Vbulletin? I need to convert to UTF8 because all the kanji and Japanese words appear gibberish.

What do you mean? Can you be more specific?

I also want to convert my DB to UFT8 independently in case I still want to use my vbulletin but with a database that is uft8

Hi Adam,

Where is this converter? Can you please send me more detail on this. Can I use Xenforo to convert my vbulletin DB to UFT8 and still use Vbulletin with the converted database?

Hi Adam,

Where is this converter? Can you please send me more detail on this. Can I use Xenforo to convert my vbulletin DB to UFT8 and still use Vbulletin with the converted database?
KatieH

You convert to XenForo. The converter (bundled in with XenForo, included in the package) will read your vBulletin database, in the ISO encoding that it has. It will get the data correctly. It will then proceed to insert the data in the XenForo tables, which are prepared for UTF-8.

At the end you are left with
1) Your old vBulletin installation, untouched, in the same ISO format
2) Your brand new XenForo installation, in UTF-8, with proper support for Japanese and many other languages

After that, you close your vBulletin, stop using it and you start using XenForo

KatieH

You convert to XenForo. The converter (bundled in with XenForo, included in the package) will read your vBulletin database, in the ISO encoding that it has. It will get the data correctly. It will then proceed to insert the data in the XenForo tables, which are prepared for UTF-8.

2) Your brand new XenForo installation, in UTF-8, with proper support for Japanese and many other languages

Hi, well, I am going to buy Xenforo for another project anyways but I also want to convert my main forum vbulletin DB to UTF8. So can Xenforo converter help in this task? So that I still use my Vb but with UTF8 database.

Should i be concern about this thread as well? i was reading about i. Does anyone face issues when converting to UTF8?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/converting-to-utf-8-issues.21406/

Hi, well, I am going to buy Xenforo for another project anyways but I also want to convert my main forum vbulletin DB to UTF8. So can Xenforo converter help in this task? So that I still use my Vb but with UTF8 database.

Should i be concern about this thread as well? i was reading about i. Does anyone face issues when converting to UTF8?
http://xenforo.com/community/threads/converting-to-utf-8-issues.21406/
Respectfully, this is not vBulletin. You will need to find support for converting their database, while remaining with them, on their site.

Now if you want to convert to XenForo, after purchasing a copy, I would be very happy to help you :)

Respectfully, this is not vBulletin. You will need to find support for converting their database, while remaining with them, on their site.

Now if you want to convert to XenForo, after purchasing a copy, I would be very happy to help you :)

My aim for when I buy Xenforo is to integrate my design with Xenforo and it will be used as it is http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anime-website-nihonomaru-xenforo.42348/#post-457317 So i would need some help with this :) But
I wouldn't need to convert my main vb forum to migrate to Xenforo. It is impossible due to so many addons and customization, and not to mention Xenforo for me would need at least 2 years in development to become more complete.

My aim for when I buy Xenforo is to integrate my design with Xenforo and it will be used as it is http://xenforo.com/community/threads/anime-website-nihonomaru-xenforo.42348/#post-457317 So i would need some help with this :) But
I wouldn't need to convert my main vb forum to migrate to Xenforo. It is impossible due to so many addons and customization, and not to mention Xenforo for me would need at least 2 years in development to become more complete.
What features are you looking for?

Odds are that either XenForo already has it or there is an add-on for it. If not, I'm sure that one of the many developers here can help you develop it. :)

What features are you looking for?

Odds are that either XenForo already has it or there is an add-on for it. If not, I'm sure that one of the many developers here can help you develop it. :)

It is going to be too much work~ :) that is why i prefer when i buy Xenforo to use it as a stand alone and try to work my way up on customizing it more and getting familiar with the addons offered here and things like that, better than say "lets convert from vb to xenforo and try to look for every addon i used on vb for xenforo" - too hectic. I always believe in improvements and innovations but also if something is not broken, don't change it :)

KatieH

Very good news! I will purchase one license of XenForo at once.

Top Bottom