Any Joomla people here?

Elizabeth

I am thinking of using Joomla instead of WordPress because Joomla has VirtueMart as a plugin. I managed to get Joomla installed but can't seem to get VirtueMart installed with it.

Yes, I have read the instructions but since the blasted instructions were written for both Joomla and Mambo and they aren't identical any longer, it get's confusing. Also I use sftp not ftp for my connections.

Can someone walk me thru it or give me an idea what I am doing wrong?

I don't like Joomla at all, it gave me much problems, urls are ugly and the admin interface is uncomfortable.... I have used it for more than 1 year and I'll never use it again.

I am thinking of using Joomla instead of WordPress because Joomla has VirtueMart as a plugin. I managed to get Joomla installed but can't seem to get VirtueMart installed with it.

Yes, I have read the instructions but since the blasted instructions were written for both Joomla and Mambo and they aren't identical any longer, it get's confusing. Also I use sftp not ftp for my connections.

Can someone walk me thru it or give me an idea what I am doing wrong?

I can help Elizabeth :) ... but as Puntocom mentioned stay clear from joomla

UMMMM, right now, I'm working on it on a spare url so it's not like I'm replacing anything yet.

What I can't get it to do is install VirtueMart. I've tried all three ways, apparently it's not seeing the xml it needs to see. What I did was go find out I needed the bundle.

I was TRYING to get away from ZenCart, I am a solo store now but still do digital downloads an can't afford a paid solution. I'm not in a terrible hurry but would like to have this part of the site up and running by the first of the year.

Having dealt with ZC for three years, I'd *kill* to get away from it!

I am familiar with ASP.NET solutions ...which in your case they aren't going to help :D
I thought Wordpress got pretty good plugins ... Let me look

Former Joomla developer - very heavily invested in it. My opinion is that it is not worth using except for smaller corporate sites that need special "flash" or other integrated features where only the very best Joomla modules will suffice. 98% of them are half baked. Joomla is a very good CMS but bulky and a chore to use, IMHO. I moved to Wordpress several years ago and have never looked back or even reconsidered. Virtually anything for Joomla is available for Wordpress and usually better. With only a few exceptions and circumstances do I choose Joomla, as I did so for a recent project.

LOL, Michael, if you moved away from it, I really don't want it. I have seen one absolutely stunning site using Joomla and xCart about a year ago. The guy must have poured a boatload of money in it knowing what xcart runs. I never could afford that one.

I'm looking at the plugin Blandt suggested.

LOL, Michael, if you moved away from it, I really don't want it. I have seen one absolutely stunning site using Joomla and xCart about a year ago. The guy must have poured a boatload of money in it knowing what xcart runs. I never could afford that one.
I'm looking at the plugin Blandt suggested.
I'm not sure why the 2.5 star rating. A quick search found this: http://www.instinct.co.nz/e-commerce/ There should be many others. Currently I use a combo of support desk and billing software.

I built a site using Joomla's shopping cart system and it worked OK. On most of my sites I've moved away and use another method for shopping cart integration, if any account integration. There should be plenty of tools you can use.

I don't personally find any issues with Joomla or WP... both are easy to work with and modify. I set one up for my sister using virtuemart, easy as. She was up and running in a day or two.

Joomla! is bloated and doesn't do the basic correctly. For ecommerce sites, prestashop looks nice, also it's Open Source.
It looks nice, you're right but once you dig in it, it doesn't do what you need. I went back to the devil I knew with my shop...zen cart. The advantage I had there was I had my old shop still up as far as the back end so I could just copy the settings and not re-invent most of the wheel. I coded a html box for WordPress to connect the two (altho there is suppose to be a plugin on the ZenCart side, it wasn't valid for the version I was using. So now I have most of the three connected. Working on my next project now.

I'm glad this thread exists. I've been contemplating either Joomla or Drupal, and had decided on Joomla, so I signed up for their demo. Fifteen minutes after playing with it I decided it wasn't worth my time (am I stupid or is Joomla too non-intuitive?); it reminded me a little of a certain forum software I recently abandoned because it was way too weird to work with (among other reasons). But yeah, reading this thread has put the final nail in the Joomla debate.

I'm glad this thread exists. I've been contemplating either Joomla or Drupal, and had decided on Joomla, so I signed up for their demo. Fifteen minutes after playing with it I decided it wasn't worth my time (am I stupid or is Joomla too non-intuitive?); it reminded me a little of a certain forum software I recently abandoned because it was way too weird to work with (among other reasons). But yeah, reading this thread has put the final nail in the Joomla debate.

Give www.Concrete5.org a try for simple projects.... Modx for more advanced CMS ... or stick with the good'ole Wordpress :D

Really isn't that bad only one thing you need to take care in joomla is Security and regular updates .

Really isn't that bad only one thing you need to take care in joomla is Security and regular updates .

It is too involved and takes toooo much planning and categorizing and dividing and ... and ...
dead.gif
dead.gif
in one word : bloated

Try concrete5 and see the difference (C5 uses Zend framework as well)

Top Bottom