1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Animated Avatars

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Gabby, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Ok so I checked a few posts on this and they are way over my head. Can anyone tell me how to allow my memberw to upload animated avatars? Hope it's easy and not a template or sever thingy. :confused: I;m hoping it's just a button I have to press. LOL

Thank you.

2. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

On my site, the avatars are only animated when you open the Member Card (by clicking on an avatar). I've seen some sites that have them working but I've never looked into how. One of my Likes of XF was the clean posting with less 'junk' for distraction.

Oh yeah, IGN has animated avatars - but they are very obnoxious (to me).

Gabby likes this.
  3. RobinHood

RobinHood Well-Known Member

You need to have the PHP extention ImageMagick installed on your server and have it selected as the Default Image Processor in the ACP -> Options -> Attatchments page.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/animated-gif-avatars.17708/

Then when you upload your gif it converts it to every avatar size so it will remain animated all over the site. I just spent the evening trying to get it work on my site, looks good :)

Valter and Gabby like this.
  4. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Thank you Robinhood. So if I do this, does this, my member will be able to upload gif images as avatars?

5. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

From Kier

Gabby likes this.
  6. RobinHood

Yep :)

Yep, I meant imagick, which is the extension for php, ImageMagick is the image processing module (as I learnt from Qwk86k earlier!)

melbo likes this.
  7. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

Ok thank you . I don't think I have that though.

8. RobinHood

If it's not installed ask your hosting provider if they can install it for you. If you look on the thread I linked you should be able to see images where you can tell if it's installed by looking at your PHP Config

9. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

I see your pic blinking. Does that mean it is installed?

10. RobinHood

Which pic?

11. Gabby

Gabby Well-Known Member

the one in the post

12. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I don't see no blinky

Steve F likes this.
  13. RobinHood

Are you talking about the first post in this thread? If so, no, that's just a gif that user uploaded to the post.

I was talking about info like in Kier's post where you can check if the extension is installed on your server by checking the PHP Congif so that your users can use it.

I'd recommend opening a ticket with your hosting provider asking if they relevent bits are installed

Or just head to ACP-> Options -> Attatchments and see if the ImageMagick radio button is selectable.

[​IMG]

14. evo

evo Member

ok, I have imagick installed, and selected in the admin system, but it only ever shows a single frame from the gif I upload, doesn't matter where, every instance of the avatar is still. It uploads ok but it's never animated.

php 5.3.10
    imagic 3.1.0RC1
    ImageMagick 6.6.9-7 2012-08-17 Q16

15. evo

evo Member

Can anyone help?

16. Jeremy P

Jeremy P Well-Known Member

Does the same for me and has forever. I think XF's implementation is buggy.

17. evo

evo Member

I'm back. Does anyone have a clear cut way to get this actually working? Would really like some support.

18. Gambleru

Gambleru Member

Same here, everything installed, imagick ON in the options, reuploading of the avatars does not help.
    same versions of php & imagick as evo.
    Anyone?

19. Valter

Valter Active Member

Switched to different hosting, now newly uploaded avatars are not animated in posts.

PHP Version 5.3.27
    imagick module version => 3.1.2
    ImageMagick 6.5.4-7 2014-02-10 Q16 OpenMP

20. Puntocom

Puntocom Well-Known Member

I see animated avatars only clicking them... how can I show them in normal posts?