AMS Discussion Thread Enhancements [Deleted]

benFF

benFF submitted a new resource:

AMS Discussion Thread Enhancements - Bringing AMS inline with Showcase

You can all thank @Forsaken for sponsoring the license for AMS so this could be released :D

Features:
  • Show the article content above in the thread header (with page buttons if multipage article)
  • Hide first post of the discussion (which is just a link to the article).
  • Optionally show the article cover image (either as thumbnail or full image)
  • Add a "Create Article" button to selected forums
  • Link AMS and XF prefixes, so when discussion thread is...

Read more about this resource...

How difficult do you think it would be to mirror comments to the discussion thread? I think Bob said he wouldn't ever consider doing it, but not sure why. Would be cool to use both options and have it mirrored.

Last edited:
In my testing, this doesn't seem to be working :( I've liked / reacted to the first post from an article that has been posted. Refreshed, and then gone to the article itself - and the reaction isn't there. Is there a cron that needs to run or something? :) Happy to send links.

Thanks for your time bud. Let me know how to donate that beer/coffee!
Ah because that's not what it's for.

It's for when you convert a thread to an article, the reactions from the original thread first post will be moved over to the article.

1647938064970.webp

Last edited:
How difficult do you think it would be to mirror comments to the discussion thread?
Sure - that's done now.

It's amazing how insanely easy is it to build on the XF platform, be it the core or any addon running on it. It's not like vBulletin which needed hook points, you can basically extend or override anything you want on XF :D

Also a testament to @Bob coding style, which makes extending every feature very simple and intuitive.

Sure - that's done now.

It's amazing how insanely easy is it to build on the XF platform, be it the core or any addon running on it. It's not like vBulletin which needed hook points, you can basically extend or override anything you want on XF :D

Also a testament to @Bob coding style, which makes extending every feature very simple and intuitive.
I feel like I'm asking a lot from you now - Please tell me to shutup if you wish.

Do you think you could mirror reactions from comments and the thread messages? Also moderator actions - so say if I delete a comment on the article, it should delete the message on the thread. Also the same the other way, so say if I delete a message on the thread, it should delete the comment on the article.

Also, if I post a message in the thread - a comment does not copy over to the article. These really are groundbreaking changes (at least for me!)

Please hmu if you want me to sponsor this. Thank you again!

Also, if I post a message in the thread - a comment does not copy over to the article. These really are groundbreaking changes (at least for me!)
At this point you've just replicated the discussion thread though, so what's the point?

At this point you've just replicated the discussion thread though, so what's the point?
I feel as though people will first comment on an article, on the article page. They'll notice that they can join the discussion in the proper forum - but if they see content/posts that others have already posted on the article page, then that will entice them to comment. Perhaps. That's my understanding, anyway :P

I guess.

I have comments disabled completely and only use the discussion thread, because I just wanted everything all in one place.

I think the distinction between discussion and comments is that comments are usually just something short, whereas discussion posts can get long. Whilst it would be ok to copy a comment to the discussion thread, you wouldn't really want massive posts from the discussion thread copied to the comments.

But what I meant was, if they are just going to be a clone of each other, why not just display the discussion thread under the article in place of the comments box (which is basically what happens on the discussion thread page anyway)

I guess.

I have comments disabled completely and only use the discussion thread, because I just wanted everything all in one place.

I think the distinction between discussion and comments is that comments are usually just something short, whereas discussion posts can get long. Whilst it would be ok to copy a comment to the discussion thread, you wouldn't really want massive posts from the discussion thread copied to the comments.

But what I meant was, if they are just going to be a clone of each other, why not just display the discussion thread under the article in place of the comments box (which is basically what happens on the discussion thread page anyway)
Same. I guess because I have little activity, I'm trying my best to tempt people to write stuff and figure if there's already content under the article, it may help. But you're right - it should all be in one place ideally. I wonder then. if it would be a good idea to mark/distinguish the difference between messages and comments in the thread. Say for example if it is a comment from the article, there is a line or title above the comment in the thread that states that, such as 'This message is a comment from the article', or something better than that, perhaps.

This addon is great !

Say for example if it is a comment from the article, there is a line or title above the comment in the thread that states that, such as 'This message is a comment from the article', or something better than that, perhaps.
Ok that's phrased now (xa_ams_article_thread_new_comment)

So you can set it to whatever you want - it defaults to mimic the current update posts, but with the comment also quoted below.

1648025689905.webp

Ok that's phrased now (xa_ams_article_thread_new_comment)

So you can set it to whatever you want - it defaults to mimic the current update posts, but with the comment also quoted below.

View attachment 266309
Brilliant. That way, I can make it obvious on the comments within the article that their comment will be inserted into the discussion thread, and for the 'full experience', they can visit that.

Top Bottom