Alter Ego Detector (AED2) [Deleted]

Just a question, when the report is made to a thread it is done so as....

Multiple login detected from: @member1

Other recognized users: @member2

Doesn't the use of the '@' notify the members that they have been tagged in a post ?

ie ACP > Setup > Options > User Alerts

The @ character is used to initiate user mentions. If this option is disabled, successful user mentions will remove this character.

Regards,

Okay, so if the forum permissions were set to only allow moderators and admin to view then the member would not receive a notification to say they have been tagged?

To be fair it's not a big issue as even if they did receive a notification they would not have access to read the post anyway, but I just needed clarification :)

Okay, a bit of a strange one this which hopefully someone could offer an explanation....

We've had this add-on running now for short while and it detected one person using two member names. A message was sent to him regarding this and he chose to delete both accounts - no problem.

Then we detected two more usernames being flagged as a multiple log in.
Now, both members are decent forum members, both have established history, both live miles apart, and when asked they both categorically denied knowing anything about it.
I've reason to believe that, especially as one of them is a ranking police officer.

However, both members have an occasional shared IP address which is the only possible connection we can find...

Details for 195.195.234.240

IP: 195.195.234.240
Decimal: 3284396784
Hostname: no-reverse-defined.bedford.ac.uk
ASN: 786
ISP: Jisc Services Limited
Organization: Bedford College
Services: None detected
Type:Broadband
Assignment:Static IP
Blacklist:

Continent: Europe Country: United Kingdom
gb.png
State/Region: Bedford City: Bedford Latitude: 52.1333 (52° 7′ 59.88″ N) Longitude: -0.45 (0° 27′ 0.00″ W) Postal Code: MK40

Checking their other shared IP addresses just shows the occasional random one.

Does the Alter Ego Detector alert when two people share the same IP address and are online at the same time?
I was under the impression it detected a cookie placed on their devices, so unless both are using the same cookied device there shouldn't be a report.

Or is there something else I am missing ?

Hi,

I often get a Log entry where "From User" and "To User" are the exact same user. Could it be that even a user logging out and logging in again would trigger an Alter Ego detection?

Does this add-on still work? I've just installed it and created 3 new users and have yet to see a new thread with the warning show up yet.

Does this mean 1.1.1 only works with 2.1 or 2.x ?

TIA,
-Markus

From version 1.1.1 it is also XF2.1 compatible!

Does this add-on still work? I've just installed it and created 3 new users and have yet to see a new thread with the warning show up yet.

It should work. What exactly did you do and how? Can you also reproduce it in a DEMO from xenMade?

@au lait i had a member that i banned register under a new name. when i look at the ip in the acp it comes up under his old user name. but the addon didn't catch anything. is there any way to get this to look at ip addresses?

Can you add a 'manual scan' of a user for their next login? So before they get to do anything, their computer is 'scanned' using semi-invasive methods?

If you'd like to know what I'm referring to, please reference:

It checks everything including the extensions on your browser, graphics drivers versions, screen resolution, etc.

Your addon not working with me on XF2..1

I try using two account for test on the same browse but I don't see anything, I have change the cookies name to userinit same thing

Trying again. I have installed this but maybe I'm missing something as I see nothing in the log when I test by logging on with a couple of test users.

Also no cookie aid is created in Firefox according to storage inspector. I did set up a waitlist user group but hthtese users are not in it.

What else should I be checking?

Thanks

EDIT: I did have this for xf1 and it was fine. Uninstalled before upgrading to xf2.

Top Bottom