1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alert on new threads

Discussion in 'Styling and Customization Questions' started by Stimo, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Stimo

Stimo Active Member

Is there anyway to set it up so that all new threads (not just ones you have posted in) sends out an alert? As i find users really dont look for new threads and just reply once they get an alert on one they have posted in.

2. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

That's what the "What's New?" link would be for.

3. Stimo

Stimo Active Member

Yes but not many use that either.

4. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

Actually it's not a bad question except yesterday I was thinking rather than an alert (balloon style) a simple text counter residing on the right hand side of the text "what's new" would be beneficial. just so you know how many new threads/posts are created. It would be quite useful imo.

ArnyVee and Stimo like this.
  5. ArnyVee

I understand what you mean Stimo.

Ah, that might bring some attention to it Shelley.

Stimo, in the short term, you may want to change the color of the text to stand out from the other nav items. Maybe that would bring attention to it.

6. Stimo

Stimo Active Member

Maybe a plugin/template edit like this Photoshop i just made..

[​IMG]

7. Shelley

Shelley Well-Known Member

It's not bad but I still think a counter by what's new is the best solution. The moment your members see some numbers you'll get use from the what's new. Me personally? I use the what's new all the time it's one of the few navigation features I use alot and find very very useful. I think the introduction of a new post count would just make the what's new that little better and more appealing plus you could always change the "what's new" phrase to "New posts" or something similar.

Infact Jake is this possible to introduce a counter when new posts are posted on the the right hand side of the what's new? text? Apologies for hijacking your thread Stimo.

8. ArnyVee

I use the "What's new" all the time as well.

But I agree, a counter would be great to add next to/below to get people using it more.

9. Stimo

Stimo Active Member

Don't worry :)

Shelley likes this.