Implemented Spam Cleaner in Moderation Queue

Vishal Rao

It would be nice to have a "Spam" link beside posts/threads in the Moderation Queue, so that if we run the spam cleaner, then the Moderation queue should automatically refresh, deleting all the spam posts by the user.

Now we have to click on the username and then run the spam cleaner and then refresh the Moderation Queue. If there are many spammers, then it becomes very tedious.

Upvote 26
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
This one seems pretty obvious, so we're surprised it doesn't exist.

The point of the Moderation Queue besides catching potential rule violations, is to catch potential spammers.

On our Forum, our Moderation rules catch around 9 spammers per day posting links as their first post.

However, since there is no Spam link in the Moderation Queue, and since this is the first post/profile post from these Spammers, we have to click on each "Posted:" link to then go to the page where the content is, to then have to click the Spam link to clear their spam and ban them. We have to do that for each Spammer and it is very time-consuming.

So please add it as one of the options (e.g. Do nothing, Approve, Delete, Delete as Spam), so we can spam-ban multiple users at once with just 1 click.

Thank you.

You can do it from the queue without leaving the page (via the member card by clicking the username).
That's certainly not the case in our Forum. The "Spam" link does not appear in the Member Card when clicking a user's username in the Moderation Queue on our Forum (XF 1.5).

That's certainly not the case in our Forum. The "Spam" link does not appear in the Member Card when clicking a user's username in the Moderation Queue on our Forum (XF 1.5).

Mouse over the avatar in the member card. You should see the "spam" link there.

Mouse over the avatar in the member card. You should see the "spam" link there.
Not sure why it's hidden and requires a hover to appear, but this is one step less we have to take now to clean spammers in the queue, so thank you.

But it would still be so much easier and more logical if there was a simple "Delete as Spam" option in the Moderation Queue. One of the biggest tasks Moderators have is cleaning Spam, and requiring a click-hover-click-click for each user in order to clean their Spam is still a massive pain compared to just having the option "Delete as Spam" which would require just 1 click for each selected user, and then the "Update Moderation Queue" would clean all that Spam at once.

We hope the XF strongly considers adding this option to help us fight Spam. Thank you.

I'm using the "spam button everywhere" which cuts my time dealing with spam in the moderation queue in half. This isn't saying much though because if I could just select all of the obvious spam in the queue and hit a button once to run spam cleaner on all of those accounts, it would save 90-95% of the time I spend dealing with spam in the moderation queue.

This seems like a no brainer feature.

if I could just select all of the obvious spam in the queue and hit a button once to run spam cleaner on all of those accounts, it would save 90-95% of the time I spend dealing with spam in the moderation queue.

This seems like a no brainer feature.
Agree 100%.

Our staff also highlighted similar need to us during their test period. Would be great if it makes into 2.0

+1 vote to see, one or both of the following
  • Spam Action on the moderation queue (Shouldn't this already on there...? It's the moderation queue after all...)
  • Ability to change the default Action. (Having to go down a long list and switch them all to another option from a default of "do nothing" to "delete" or "spam", sucks! What a waste of time.)

For changing the default action, our moderation queue has items that more or less use all options equally, so having a different default value would not really help us much. Having it set to "do nothing" is a safety feature actually. If you forget to tick one of the radio buttons, then you are not accidentally accepting or deleting a post.

I don't think "spam" could ever be one of those choices in the selection list. The spam cleaner handles only one spam situation at a time, where you are taken to another window to select what to do with the spam and the spammer, and to send a message to the spammer. So for that reason, it might not work. But there may be other ways!

For changing the default action, our moderation queue has items that more or less use all options equally, so having a different default value would not really help us much. Having it set to "do nothing" is a safety feature actually. If you forget to tick one of the radio buttons, then you are not accidentally accepting or deleting a post.

I don't think "spam" could ever be one of those choices in the selection list. The spam cleaner handles only one spam situation at a time, where you are taken to another window to select what to do with the spam and the spammer, and to send a message to the spammer. So for that reason, it might not work. But there may be other ways!

Safety feature sure, but like a in vehicle where you can turn the passenger air bags off, it is nice to be able to override the default setting to your own preference when appropriate. Again I'm not suggesting to change the default setting, just to add the option.

The spam cleaner has configurable defaults under the spam management settings. When triggered on the moderation queue it would just apply those defaults to the users selected. If a user already had action taken against them using the spam cleaner, do nothing. Seems like rather simple coding. Not something I would expect to be a challenge for the XenForo developers by any means.

A bump, now that XF 2.0 is up and rockin'.

So, we have these options as we had with XF 1.5:

1511192118160.webp

I investigated clicking the membercard in 2.0, but that takes three clicks to get to the spam cleaner (membercard, "tool" button, "spam" link). A single click to get there with an overlay would save my carpal tunnel a bit of grief.

I realize a multiple choice option might not be practical but it might also be something to consider for the future, as like someone posted above, when there are several spam registrations in the mod queue, it gets very tedious to be doing the clickety-click square dance over so many registrations. The way to tackle this might be to have a place to set default spam cleaner options for the moderation queue. That way, one click on each moderated item, and a click of the magical "Save" button at the bottom, would whisk that stuff straight away into the spam bucket.

A bump, now that XF 2.0 is up and rockin'.

So, we have these options as we had with XF 1.5:

View attachment 162191

I investigated clicking the membercard in 2.0, but that takes three clicks to get to the spam cleaner (membercard, "tool" button, "spam" link). A single click to get there with an overlay would save my carpal tunnel a bit of grief.

I realize a multiple choice option might not be practical but it might also be something to consider for the future, as like someone posted above, when there are several spam registrations in the mod queue, it gets very tedious to be doing the clickety-click square dance over so many registrations. The way to tackle this might be to have a place to set default spam cleaner options for the moderation queue. That way, one click on each moderated item, and a click of the magical "Save" button at the bottom, would whisk that stuff straight away into the spam bucket.
So you're confirming that XenForo have NOT added the "Delete as Spam" as one of the actions in the Moderation queue?

If that's the case, then it is hugely disappointing and frustrating. Either they are not cognizant of just how cumbersome the current system is to deal with many Spam messages in the Moderation Queue, or they do but don't care. Either way, not a good sign at all.

We currently have over 600 spam messages in our Moderation Queue and there is absolutely no way we are going to spend hours click-hover-click-clicking-waiting to remove each one one-by-one to clear the queue, so it just grows, and innocent posts that get caught in the Moderation Queue are getting lost since the Moderation Queue is in order of oldest to newest.

We were waiting for XF 2.0 to offer this feature so we could promptly upgrade, but it does not seem XenForo has listened to us, so we will absolutely not be upgrading.

This feature may not be useful or important to those who do not receive a lot of spam, but believe us, once you have hundreds of Spam messages in your Moderation Queue like some of us do, you are going to hope and pray to any god that will listen that someone out there adds a "Delete as Spam" action to the Moderation Queue.

It is extremely disappointing to hear XenForo has ignored this in version 2.0.

I was really hoping this would make it in to 2.0 too. Our moderation queue catches most of the spam posts on our sites, so it's the logical place to have a "mark as spam" button - it is quite frustrating having to do it the slow way (by default), so we've edited the template to add a mark as spam button under each entry.

Another +1 for this feature.

It would be great if you could add a 'Delete as spam' action option to the moderation queue! It's the only feature that we miss from vBulletin and going by this thread a much requested user feature.

We spend on average up to an hour each day dealing with our forum spam and it just feels like too much clicking doing this with the members card. When you have around 40+ posts sitting in moderation each time you log in it can get very tiresome doing it this way.

We was hoping that v2.0 would have implemented this.

+1 A ball-ache having to "delete" post in the moderation queue and then going through all them all again in the forums to make sure a user is banned and removing all the non-public deleted threads as a result.

Top Bottom