1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add Spam Button to Moderation Queue

Discussion in 'XenForo Suggestions' started by The Dark Wizard, Feb 1, 2015.

1. The Dark Wizard

The Dark Wizard Well-Known Member

A lot of spam bots are trapped in moderation queue more often then not if you do it right.

Besides the Approve, Reject, Do Nothing for the moderation of posts, there should be a spam cleaner option to make it easier and faster.
    Jake B., cellarius, Eased and 20 others like this.
  2. rainmotorsports

rainmotorsports Well-Known Member

Would be nice as to submit them to SFS I end up just backing out of the queue and spamming them out as they are from 100% spam sources.

However at this point I have them all blocked by AS name and no longer see any of them so its a shame i cant report them for other peoples sake anymore.
    Xon likes this.
  3. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

Couldn't you just bring up the member cards of the members whose threads are in the moderation queue and use the spam cleaner that way?
  4. The Dark Wizard

That involves leaving the moderation queue. The idea is to be able to do it all from the queue.
  5. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

You can do it from the queue without leaving the page (via the member card by clicking the username).
    Amaury likes this.
  6. The Dark Wizard

Interesting, Theres so much space in the moderation queue, basically the page can be made a bit less awkward.

I think my suggestion still stands though, when you are trying to get past these really fast, would be good to just have a spam option directly on the mod queue if the member meets the criteria.
  7. Iversia

Iversia Well-Known Member

Commenting to support this. I've been getting an influx of spam lately (last ~4 weeks), and it isn't immediately clear to my moderators that they can easily ban accounts via the member card.

I'd like an additional option for them to very clearly mark something as "spam" as opposed to them simply deleting something from the queue (which is what happens most of the time). As it stands, having to go out of your way to designate a user (and subsequent posts) as spam, really disrupts the entire flow of the moderation queue. While this could be solved by educating moderators further, I really do believe that the entire process should be more intuitive.
    turtile likes this.
  8. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Another 'Like' to the suggestion.

Yes, the individual user name can be clicked to view the member card and then the Spam option chosen, but it'd be so much easier if there was a "Spam" option as one of the Action options combined with a "Select All" option on the Moderation Queue page to apply the same action to everything in the queue.
  9. Divvens

Divvens Well-Known Member

I'm surprised there isn't a spam button directly, as it is the foremost tool of fighting spammers once they make it through registration (apart from it being used also for moderating certain members).

I'm aware that once you click the username of the member it does bring up the spam option, but even I didn't know that until I clicked the username, used to go to content and then use the spam button.

It would make things easier and quicker, 100% agreed.
  10. jondoe0069

jondoe0069 Member

Bumping this thread, rather than posting the suggestion again. On my forum, 95% (or more) of the SPAM gets caught in the moderation queue with few false positives. Most posts are very obvious SPAM and I can tell just by glancing at the titles in the moderation queue (pharma related, dating, etc. etc.). Almost all of the maintenance related time I spend on my forum consists of clicking through to each user's profile and running the SPAM cleaner on them when spam gets caught in the moderation queue. This burns up 10-15 minutes a day and is something that surely should be streamlined with more automation. I'd get back almost all of my time and be able to focus on replying to threads and being an active member of my forum if I could just tick a box for "Spam Cleaner" right on the moderation queue page for each entry that is obvious SPAM. Then at the end of the page, run "update" (or a separate button for Spam Cleaner") and have it run the spam cleaner on all of the posts I selected. It could pop up and prompt me to check the options I want, then apply it to everything I checked in the queue.

This would be so nice =)
    The Dark Wizard likes this.
  11. AtoZ

AtoZ New Member

Another vote from me.
  12. TDUBS

TDUBS Active Member

I was facing a lot of spam bots and whatnot at one point until I came along an addon called TPU: Detect and Block Spam Registrations (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/tpu-detect-and-block-spam-registrations.2973/) which you can block potential spam registrations based upon ISP, hostname, email address, visitors country, etc. This may not be what you're looking for but this helps greatly especially when I don't allow VPN/Proxy registrations so they will just automatically get rejected once they hit the "Submit" button in the registration form.
    Infopro likes this.
  13. XFuser

XFuser Active Member

This one seems pretty obvious, so we're surprised it doesn't exist.

The point of the Moderation Queue besides catching potential rule violations, is to catch potential spammers.

On our Forum, our Moderation rules catch around 9 spammers per day posting links as their first post.

However, since there is no Spam link in the Moderation Queue, and since this is the first post/profile post from these Spammers, we have to click on each "Posted:" link to then go to the page where the content is, to then have to click the Spam link to clear their spam and ban them. We have to do that for each Spammer and it is very time-consuming.

So please add it as one of the options (e.g. Do nothing, Approve, Delete, Delete as Spam), so we can spam-ban multiple users at once with just 1 click.

Thank you.

That's certainly not the case in our Forum. The "Spam" link does not appear in the Member Card when clicking a user's username in the Moderation Queue on our Forum (XF 1.5).
  14. Biker

Biker Well-Known Member

Mouse over the avatar in the member card. You should see the "spam" link there.
  15. XFuser

XFuser Active Member

Not sure why it's hidden and requires a hover to appear, but this is one step less we have to take now to clean spammers in the queue, so thank you.

But it would still be so much easier and more logical if there was a simple "Delete as Spam" option in the Moderation Queue. One of the biggest tasks Moderators have is cleaning Spam, and requiring a click-hover-click-click for each user in order to clean their Spam is still a massive pain compared to just having the option "Delete as Spam" which would require just 1 click for each selected user, and then the "Update Moderation Queue" would clean all that Spam at once.

We hope the XF strongly considers adding this option to help us fight Spam. Thank you.
  16. jondoe0069

jondoe0069 Member

I'm using the "spam button everywhere" which cuts my time dealing with spam in the moderation queue in half. This isn't saying much though because if I could just select all of the obvious spam in the queue and hit a button once to run spam cleaner on all of those accounts, it would save 90-95% of the time I spend dealing with spam in the moderation queue.

This seems like a no brainer feature.
  17. XFuser

XFuser Active Member

Agree 100%.
  18. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Then be sure to hit 'Like' on the first post so the XF devs know the true interest in this suggestion.
    Rudy likes this.
  19. Mert

Mert Well-Known Member

Our staff also highlighted similar need to us during their test period. Would be great if it makes into 2.0
  20. Rudy

Rudy Well-Known Member

I just had staff request this feature this morning. Voted with a "like" on the first post. Hopefully everyone else here does the same!
    Eased and orange7 like this.