1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add a help section

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by HoddzDJ, Oct 23, 2010.

1. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

The help section of the xF board is awesome, but I'd like to add a whole new section to my installation. Is there a way to do this or would I have to hard code it into the files?

2. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

A new section as in a new category with forums?

3. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

If you click on the Help tab, there are things like Smilies, BB Codes, Trophies etc, I want to add another one.

4. steven s

Gotcha. I believe the help uses a page. I'm pretty sure there is a thread on creating pages and maybe adding another tab in the nav bar.

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The Help page isn't a "Page" node.

If you want to add to that menu tab then you will need to do some template edits.
    You could though use a Page for what you want.

6. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

I thought that might be the case, time to have a look through some templates and see what I can find... back in a while I think.

7. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The help_index template is the main one.
    From there you can see the reference to the content.

8. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

Sorted, just done a search for help so gonna have a go and see what happens... if it all goes wrong I have the almighty 'Revert' button.. yay!!

9. steven s

I was thinking he wanted to use an additional tab.

10. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

I have managed to get the templates edited and all ready, I just need to find out how to get the links to actually work... this could take some more time to be fair!

11. Floris

Floris Guest

You can use a Node: Page
    like so: http://xenfans.com/pages/user-guide

12. HoddzDJ

HoddzDJ Active Member

I don't really want to use the pages, I'd rather have it all in with the help tab, but thanks for those guides.. could come in handy =]