A few questions... :)

• Thread starter Thread starter vVv
  • Start date Start date
Whoa.. I think we need to start again. Not sure where you've gotten some of your information from :) But that's ok, let's answer some of the questions...

"Can't do import of vB 4.2.0 anyway"
Actually, yes, you can. There is a vB 4.x importer here: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/vbulletin-4-to-xenforo-importer.256/

"No sub-forum support"
XenForo supports sub-forums and they will also be imported using the above importer.

"No payment processor handing methods"
XenForo has a User Upgrades system which allows your users to pay for account upgrades using PayPal. This can either be one off charge or recurring payments.

"50.00 yearly for updates"
It's actually $40. Not $50. Overall, much cheaper than vBulletin.

"June 25th 2013 comes around... And XenForo released security update the 25th .. I'm screwed"
Also it's worth noting that there has only ever been one security specific update and that was released to everyone, free of charge.

Upgrades should be included freely, especially if you're paying lifetime fee up front... And since there's on-going lawsuit... upgrade fees should be null / void for year or time-frame until lawsuit is over.. But yeah, most softwares include updates no matter what. That should be a given. I understand maybe charging for other / extra things though.. that's not part of per-packaged default software though.

Actually, none of the other paid forum software end up being as inexpensive as Xenforo. With vBulletin, you're going to have to pay the full license fee again if you want the 5.x upgrade. That's going to be a lot more than $40. With IPB, it's $25 per six months, and that's if you're only using the forum software, the blogs, gallery, etc, all have their own renewal fees too. If fees are really a dealbreaker for you, I'd recommend looking into the free forum software. There are several out there, phpBB, SMF, myBB, Vanilla, and so on, and some of them are very good.

My suggestion is: get a demo of XF rolling first, so you can know exactly what you're getting into, especially things like the admin panel (which imho is amazing, and not like VB's linear CP at all).

Oh! Thanks Dan, I seen another member "Admin" was on there... but didn't see anything about the login user/pass for it haha..didn't even get told about it in email xD. So login as "admin" and the password is same one I made for user account I guess?
That was me logging in to verify admin panel access. Use admin for your username and admin for your password.

Oh! Thanks Dan, I seen another member "Admin" was on there... but didn't see anything about the login user/pass for it haha..didn't even get told about it in email xD. So login as "admin" and the password is same one I made for user account I guess?
Not sure how you could miss out this notice:
Снимок экрана 2012-09-16 в 15.29.53.webp

very nice!! :D i'm thinking of installing current/fresh copy of my vb 4.2.0 forum first on localhost.../ xampp... then, importing from a phpBB3 database.. clean it up and etc. then when i go to use the XF .. import the vB4(phpBB3 merged in it) into the XF.. lol. hopefully all goes good lmao

I know the phpBB3 passwords to vB4 don't work well at all though.. that's the part that sucks.. but such is life.. sigh. :(
But I can't understand why do you want to migrate from phpBB to xF through vBulletin?! xF provides direct migration from phpBB 3.0 to the latest xF release.
BTW, I didn't read all replies.

Great shame that people doing so much gossip about KAM has put off a nice guy from trying XF.

vVv I'm sorry the gossip has put you off. Come back to check on us in another month or two. XF is such immensely superior softwaer that it's worth checking on later.

Since this importer been deleted, no point in using XF anymore.. Too much crappy in-house fighting going on anymore as well, putting us normal users in the middle of it, affecting us as victims paying the price as well. Time to just stay with vB4 I guess, just downgrade the long way back to vB 3.8.7... :( Too much negativity towards KAM team as well, none of them are even here to defend themselves either. Sorry for offending anyone whilst I was here... Guess its back to drawing board / stuck with vB4 till I get back on vB 3.8.7..
Its too bad that all it took was for some people to get paid to spread negativity, to affect you. VB and IPB forums have more negativity, but in their case about the core product, which IMHO is a real problem. In any case, based on people's comments on various Admin Forums, seems like people are buying a lot of XF licenses at present.

The importer will be back, dont worry.

Slavik good but to avoid more rumous arising could you suggest something on why you think so - maybe not the whole story but a bit more than one very important line you gave.
Also an estimate on how long it will be?

Because given the bad impression of VB4 this is important for transfers to XF.

Slavik good but to avoid more rumous arising could you suggest something on why you think so - maybe not the whole story but a bit more than one very important line you gave.
Also an estimate on how long it will be?

Because given the bad impression of VB4 this is important for transfers to XF.

Adam has given permission for someone else to carry on supporting it where he left off...

I've sent him a pm asking for a copy of the most recent files, and myself or Jake will make it re-available.

Let me see if I have this straight Spencer (we've known each other a long time, remember?). Because some of us stood up to someone who lifted something that wasn't theirs to begin with, created something from that, defiantly refused to give simple credit when it was politely asked for and where it was due (in effect, calling the original owner a liar), then rage pulled all his work that punishes folks like you while simultaneously proving nothing other than he is childish, it's somehow the fault of those of us who stood up for what is right? If this is an accurate analysis, I really don't know what to say to you.

Because some of us stood up to someone ....

John understand totally where you sit. But this has already been stated fully and repeating the issues magnifies the problem sadly.
Jake and Slavik are putting solutions in place for the missing importer.
On the theft they are doing what they legally and morally can in terms of mediation and arbitration.

It's a shame to put off new XF users by adding to the "dispute" threads even if the issue is well justified. We need to check if we're saying anything new on these cases.
My apologies John I'm probably being annoying from your point of view. You're in a difficult position. There's the real hot issue you're defending and the bigger issue of the XF community and it's needs to stay calm RIGHT NOW.

Not at all Shan, you have politely made a very valid point and actually, one I agree with very much so. We do indeed need more peace and harmony here and less negativity. My apologies to all...this will be the last time I speak of this situation here.

Top Bottom