1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 urls, 2 forums 1 xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Mike Law, May 24, 2011.

1. Mike Law

Mike Law Active Member

I am wondering if the following setup would work

1) forum UK www.uk.com
    2) forum US www.us.com

Using the same xenforo, so within the forum you can easily click the US button and it takes you to the US forums, and visa versa.

Is the only option

when you go to www.us.com you actually go to www.uk.com/forums/us/

Is there a better alternative?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Be aware of the license limitations with a single license:

Can multiple domains or subdomains be used with a single license?
    Yes, as long as the domains or subdomains all resolve to the same installation, all of the content is available at every domain or subdomain, and there is no attempt to make them appear as separate installations.

Mike Law likes this.
  3. Mike Law

Mike Law Active Member

Thanks Brogan,

You might want to add "Multiple Domains" as I am not planning on using subdomains.

Yeah within those limits, please advise on cool ways to accomplish a US and UK version to co-exist within 1 install.
  4. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Good point.
    I've updated the text to include domains.
    Mike Law likes this.
  5. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

I'm looking to do similar with XF with my forums - expand to add more forums to the network, share common areas between all forums and then have seperate forums for the various seperate sites.

Each would require an XF license, which is fair enough, but currently no way to do the above, I'm going to end up having to code the functionality into XF.

I did a test run with VB 3.x a couple of years back and to be honest, its not ultra hard, just a bit of a brain ***k to work it all out, to be honest. until I dive into the XF code though, I won't know how hard or easy its going to be with XF.
  6. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

7. MGSteve

MGSteve Well-Known Member

simple really - you might not want to use the same domain name for SEO or simply forum indenity purposes.

I.e. if I run a Honda forum and I want to expand to cover Toyota as well, I'd want two seperate forum domains.
  8. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Not sure if this works because I only have 1 domain name and haven't tried it.

Park your second domain and use this to display different logos depending on which domain was used to access the site.

<xen:if is="$_SERVER[HTTP_HOST] == 'www.domain-1.net'">
    Logo link for domain-1
    <xen:else />
    Logo link for domain-2