• This forum has been archived. New threads and replies may not be made. All add-ons/resources that are active should be migrated to the Resource Manager. See this thread for more information.

[100 €] vb4 import with same IDs

Marcus

Modify Paul M vbulletin 4 importer to have the following IDs the same in both source-vb4-forum and target-xenforo forum:
  • forumid
  • threadid
  • postid
  • userid
  • attachmentid
The rights to this mod go exclusively to Paul M or the xenforo team or whatever. I don't want to hassle with copyrights :)

I think you'd have to modify XenForo_Model_Import to retain the IDs... I could be mistaken though.

Curious to know what advantage their would be for keeping the same forumid, threadid?
Userid I can understand because add-ons are using the userid as the key field.

Curious to know what advantage their would be for keeping the same forumid, threadid?
Userid I can understand because add-ons are using the userid as the key field.
You can very easy correct each and every internal link from posts etc. to the target forum format. That removes thousands of 301 redirects and therefore possible queries. All redirects will work without a database query looking up the matching ID and are therefore not only faster, but the server itself has less to do and will be faster for all other users.

You can very easy correct each and every internal link from posts etc. to the target forum format. That removes thousands of 301 redirects and therefore possible queries. All redirects will work without a database query looking up the matching ID and are therefore not only faster, but the server itself has less to do and will be faster for all other users.
This would only refer to if someone posted a link inside a post? If someone is coming externally, i.e. via google search, link on 3rd party website no matter what you will need to do the 301. Once they arrive to the forum when navigating you won't have any 301 issues, right? just curious.

The overhead for the 301 script that Kier wrote is very low. It is doing a select statement on a hashed index. You can't do a simpler / faster query if you tried. The re-direct part does add an extra layer, but for the user they should never see the difference because of how fast the redirect will happen. 0 bytes are transmitted to the user before they are sent to the destination page. There shouldn't be any delays. Unless of course I haven't a clue as to what I am talking about, which is always a possibility. :D

This would only refer to if someone posted a link inside a post? If someone is coming externally, i.e. via google search, link on 3rd party website no matter what you will need to do the 301. Once they arrive to the forum when navigating you won't have any 301 issues, right? just curious.

The overhead for the 301 script that Kier wrote is very low. It is doing a select statement on a hashed index. You can't do a simpler / faster query if you tried. The re-direct part does add an extra layer, but for the user they should never see the difference because of how fast the redirect will happen. 0 bytes are transmitted to the user before they are sent to the destination page. There shouldn't be any delays. Unless of course I haven't a clue as to what I am talking about, which is always a possibility. :D

The redirection script is fast but this guy probably wants it to be faster by doing a pure-htaccess redirect :D

With Kiers search and replace addon you can change all existing links to the new xenforo format very easy if you have the same IDs.

For what it's worth, I think this is a pointless exercise. The 301 redirects are quick and efficient - I doubt that any of your users would even notice the redirect occurring.

On the other hand, modifying the importer to maintain IDs could be a major undertaking.

One of the biggest reasons is that I have written dozens of add-ons which all make use of forumids, userids, threadids etc.

It looks just changing them with simple database queries is much easier than modifying the importer, thanks for your reply!

Top Bottom