1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1.1.0 Upgrade Error

Discussion in 'Installation, Upgrade, and Import Support' started by GothamHoops, Nov 30, 2011.

1. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

"The following errors occurred while verifying that your server can run XenForo:
    • The directory /home4/gothamho/public_html/collegehoopschat/install/internal_data must be writable. Please change the permissions on this directory to be world writable (chmod 0777). If the directory does not exist, please create it.
    Please correct these errors and try again."

How do I fix this? Thanks!

2. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

CHMOD the install directorys to 777.

3. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

What exactly do you mean? My fault

4. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

You need to change the permissions on the install folder (and subfolders) to 777 so xenforo can write data during the install/upgrade.

5. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

Does that include files? Or just folders

6. ShadyX

ShadyX Well-Known Member

To be safe I would make everything in the install folder 777 whilst you upgrade.

7. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

I changed all folders and files inside in the install folder to 777 and now I have "500 Internal Server Error" coming up

8. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

The install folder should not be 0777. Though I can see why with that slightly buggy error message -- the internal_data directory in the root should be 0777, as well as everything below it.

9. Mike

Actually, the extra "install" in there makes me wonder if all of the files were uploaded correctly.

10. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

What do you suggest then? I've been changing the permissions of folders and nothing has worked yet

11. Mike

I'd try reuploading all files first. Then, you just need to make sure that the data and internal_data directories (and contents within) are 0777.

12. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

Where should I upload the upgrade files? And what do I do with all the files whose permissions I changed

13. Mike

borbole likes this.
  14. borbole

borbole Well-Known Member

Also do not forget to make a backup of the database as well prior to running the upgrader.

15. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

How do I make a backup? Thanks

16. borbole

You can make at the phpmyadmin in the cp of your host. But make sure that it is done properly. You can also use some other tools if you have a large database, like mysqldumper for ex.

17. GothamHoops

GothamHoops Member

I've definitely messed up somewhere down the line. Either by uploading the new upgrade files too many times as well as changing my permission settings to 777 for folders and files. Need help on getting things organized and up and running on 1.1.0

18. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

19. borbole

Chmodding the files and following the guide linked above should fix your issue and get your forum upgraded. Alternatively you can also purchase a professional service upgrade from the xenforo staff if you still have difficulties with it.

20. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member